Full HD Smaller Tablet

Droidboardr

May 8, 2013
Are there any mainstream tablets smaller that 10" that currently have a full 1080p screen. I am looking for something like the Nexus 7 with a better screen and newer processor, that mostly keeps up to date with current versions of android, or is easy to root and ROM. Thanks.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum
The answer is, probably not. Even most 10" tablets do batter at 720 than at 1080. On that size screen you are unlikely to see any difference.

Droidboardr

May 8, 2013
That is what i expected, but i have heard from a number of people that swear that the S4 looks so much better than the S3, and that is only a five inch screen. I also understand that there isnt much for HD content out there, but if I am buying a device, I want the best available, for future sake. Do you think it is likely that anyone will be coming out with a tablet of that nature, or should i go with a larger tablet if I want the HD screen. How are you digging your TF700? I have looked at that one many times. Do you notice any limitations, or wants?

And thanks for the welcome.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Like leeshor said, it is sort of diminishing returns with higher resolution and smaller screen sizes. The S4 looks better than the S3 not only because of resolution. Samsung has made some fundamental changes and that is a particular case of the Pentile display requiring higher resolution to get the pixel density of a non-pentile display. What is more important than overall resolution is PPI density. Look for something with ~200 PPI or better and it will look very nice or with ~300+ PPI and it will be amazing (very high quality). Again there are diminishing returns so getting a device with 500 PPI vs. one with 300 PPI probably won't make a noticeable difference.

Here is a good link from DisplayMate's recent shoot out Galaxy S4 Display Technology Shoot-Out.

PenTile Displays
The pixels on most current OLED displays have only 2 sub-pixels in each pixel instead of the standard 3 Red, Green, and Blue sub-pixels found in most other displays and display technologies. Half of the PenTile pixels have Green and Red sub-pixels and the other half have Green and Blue sub-pixels, so Red and Blue are always shared by two adjacent pixels. This makes PenTile displays easier to manufacture and at a lower cost. It also improves brightness and reduces aging effects. Because the eye has lower visual acuity for color this works very well for photographic and video images. But for digitally generated fine text and graphics with precise pixel layouts the eye can visually detect the reduced number of Red and Blue sub-pixels unless the number of Red and Blue Sub-Pixels Per Inch is very high. And it is for the Galaxy S4 – there are 312 Red and Blue Sub-Pixels Per Inch, which is only a few percent lower than Apple’s Benchmark 326 PPI iPhone Retina Display. Visually the Galaxy S4 PenTile display delivers excellent visual sharpness across the board.

JP