Full path to Home screen?

MonocleMike

Aug 2, 2012
I cannot add things to the home screen as it insists there is not room. I want to look at it with ES File explorer. Can anyone tell me the full path?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I don't know the path but I'm pretty certain you would at least need to be rooted to get there. So what size is your tablet and how many widgets and icons are on the home screen?

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think what that means is not that you are out of memory space (after all the home screen is just a shortcut) it means you don't have a slot open for a new shortcut or a widget of that size. At least that is what it means on my phone. You can try adding the app or widget to a homes screen without so much on it or add another home screen entirely if the ones you are using are filled up.

This can also be the result of having the Play Store setting to install apps to the home screen when you download them. You may need to change this setting in the Play Store so that you aren't automatically adding everything to the home screen and just have them in the app drawer.

MonocleMike

Aug 2, 2012
Thank you J5150P. Where is the shortcut and where does it point? I am on a Samsung Galay Tab 2 10.1 and have a working terminal session so I can navigate around the Linux file system but so far haven't found what I am looking for. I have plenty of space on my home screen and want to use just one. I heve tried removing a few things from the bit of screen I want to use and I have checked I can add to a different screen but I cannot get the widget onto my preferred home screen. Can anyone help?

leeb

Jul 16, 2011
You ARE talking about a widget?

If so, when you attempt to bring it over, it will show you how much room it requires in a 'border area'... perhaps the widget is demanding more room than is available.

Can you get it to fit on an 'empty' screen?

MonocleMike

Aug 2, 2012
I have succeeded in putting the widget where I wanted it by clearing a big area of the screen, putting the widget there and then putting back the icons that were there before. I would still prefer to get behind the GUI if anyone can tell me where to look.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
I believe you are looking for something similar to the desktop folder like in Windows or OS X. On Android, it does not exist. What is on your home screens is saved in the launcher app. If you run a custom launcher (Apex, Go Launcher, ADW, etc) it has different icons on each screen and has nothing in common with the stock launcher.

In JellyBean, it finally gets a bit smarter and will auto-arrange icons to make space for larger widgets, but anything older (ICS, HC, GB, etc) you need to clear out space for any large widgets before placing them.