Funny thing, 3.2 update with root

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
I have a fully rooted tablet, custom kernel and all.. and I am currently downloading the OTA update..ni thought because I rooted this wouldn't happen?

Sent from my A500 using Android Tablet Forum

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Still downloading.. but I will report back when -and if- it installs

bolster

Oct 2, 2011
I just rooted last night, and am wondering what will happen when the next update hits.

Sent from my A100 using Android Tablet Forum

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Nope, didn't install correctly :L is there a way I can manually install? Like from an SD card?

HD87

May 14, 2011
Being rooted won't stop you from getting OTA updates or cause them to fail when installing.
In this case having a custom kernel is likely the cause, or if for ex. you had the Netflix patch & not the original file in place when updating, it would have failed.
If you flash back the original kernel & make sure you have all stock system files then it should work.
But if you already flashed a kernel, why not flash the ROM? after making a backup first..
You broke the barrier when you flashed the kernel, you should go & explore!
flashing a ROM is simple with CWM, you can make a back up of the stock ROM to an SDCARD & use CWM to install.
Watch this video

Last edited by a moderator:

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Hmm.. sounds like something I can do! The virtous Picasso one he reviewed looked pretty good, but do you have any suggestions? I want the most stable one out there :)

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
I got 3.1, so 3.2's wouldn't work, right?

danielg5

May 3, 2011
There are lots of threads out on the subject, but this seems like the appropriate one to ask these questions. I have a rooted a500 (iconiaroot), still with stock HC3.1 on it. I haven't accepted the 3.2 update primarily because I use it to connect to my work vpn, and I don't have a proven method to do so without root (NetExtender with Sonicwall vpn, requires root). So, I have a couple of questions and am hoping that either someone can point me to the right tutorial or give some thoughts on the subject(s).

1. Can I download the OTA 3.2 update without installing it, but rather, just save it to my SD card?

2. If I install clockworkmod on the a500, will this make it so that OTA updates will not be accepted? Will I have to install custom updates from then on?

3. If I create a "Nandroid" backup and install a custom 3.2 ROM, could I re-flash the backup to revert back to my stock 3.1?

4. Is there a tutorial somewhere that provides some detailed information about these procedures? I was pretty comfortable using Gingerbreak and Iconiaroot, with "Root" and "Unroot" buttons, but flashing recovery files and roms seems a little more risky.

5. Finally, If the answer to 2. is "yes", is it likely that the 3.2 OTA will work if I restore the stock 3.1 ROM Nandroid backup? Or, am I stuck with custom-cooked ROMs If I start altering my tablet to this extent?

I eventually want to be able to use the system prepared by Acer (once there is a root solution to the 3.2 update) as I believe they are working to make the system as stable and useable as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.

HD87

May 14, 2011
I got 3.1, so 3.2's wouldn't work, right?

You can flash to a 3.2 ROM.

There are lots of threads out on the subject, but this seems like the appropriate one to ask these questions. I have a rooted a500 (iconiaroot), still with stock HC3.1 on it. I haven't accepted the 3.2 update primarily because I use it to connect to my work vpn, and I don't have a proven method to do so without root (NetExtender with Sonicwall vpn, requires root). So, I have a couple of questions and am hoping that either someone can point me to the right tutorial or give some thoughts on the subject(s).

1. Can I download the OTA 3.2 update without installing it, but rather, just save it to my SD card?

2. If I install clockworkmod on the a500, will this make it so that OTA updates will not be accepted? Will I have to install custom updates from then on?

3. If I create a "Nandroid" backup and install a custom 3.2 ROM, could I re-flash the backup to revert back to my stock 3.1?

4. Is there a tutorial somewhere that provides some detailed information about these procedures? I was pretty comfortable using Gingerbreak and Iconiaroot, with "Root" and "Unroot" buttons, but flashing recovery files and roms seems a little more risky.

5. Finally, If the answer to 2. is "yes", is it likely that the 3.2 OTA will work if I restore the stock 3.1 ROM Nandroid backup? Or, am I stuck with custom-cooked ROMs If I start altering my tablet to this extent?

I eventually want to be able to use the system prepared by Acer (once there is a root solution to the 3.2 update) as I believe they are working to make the system as stable and useable as possible.

Thanks in advance for your help and suggestions.
1. You can find most updates here -> [OTA] Full Package and Update (29/09/2011) - xda-developers
2. No, CWM is a recovery image, you can flash back the stock recovery image, download Acer Recovery Installer from the Market.
3. Yes, after flashing CWM recovery for Acer Recovery Installer you can make a back-up of your stock ROM to SD card then flash to a custom ROM, you can flash back to stock.
4. Watch the video on post #6...

FoFoJoe

Jun 8, 2011
Sweet thanks :D I will look into the ones you mentioned

danielg5

May 3, 2011
1. You can find most updates here -> [OTA] Full Package and Update (29/09/2011) - xda-developers
2. No, CWM is a recovery image, you can flash back the stock recovery image, download Acer Recovery Installer from the Market.
3. Yes, after flashing CWM recovery for Acer Recovery Installer you can make a back-up of your stock ROM to SD card then flash to a custom ROM, you can flash back to stock.

Thanks for your response. A couple of follow up Q's:

1. Are those OTA's pure Acer stock, or do you know if they have been altered?
2. I have Acer Recovery Installer on my tab, but the stock recovery that appears to be part of the app is labeled as "Stock USA 1.141.07_COM_GEN1 recovery". On my tablet the build number is "Acer_A500_4.010.13_COM_GEN2". Since the recovery file in Acer Recovery Installer appears to be a few versions back from the one currently installed on my tab, is that a problem?
3. Can I make a backup of the current recovery file on my tab before flashing CWM recovery?

Thanks if you have the time.