Future use of access port on VTAB-1008

stocksj

Nov 22, 2011
Has anyone looked into the access port on the bottom of your VTAB next to the sd card slot and seen if it's functional? Any ideas of what it could be used for?

HydroCarbon

Oct 21, 2011
The one next to the SD card slot is for HDMI out,and the other is the charging port.:confused: No other uses.
Have you read the manual?

IMA_210

Dec 20, 2011
I had assumed the same as HydroCarbon did, that there was no other port next to the SDCard slot besides the HDMI and micro USB. When in fact there is one! After lifting the plastic off of mine I see what appears to be a copper covered piece of styrofoam or something similar. Picking at the white substance with a toothpick, it kinda fell a part on me. I will have to do some research on cracking the case open to see what kind of slot it is and anything else that might be interesting.

HydroCarbon

Oct 21, 2011
I had assumed the same as HydroCarbon did, that there was no other port next to the SDCard slot besides the HDMI and micro USB. When in fact there is one! After lifting the plastic off of mine I see what appears to be a copper covered piece of styrofoam or something similar. Picking at the white substance with a toothpick, it kinda fell a part on me. I will have to do some research on cracking the case open to see what kind of slot it is and anything else that might be interesting.

Hmmm,haven't tried to open that "extra" door,let us know what you find out.Good question stocksj,I misunderstood you.:eek:

Last edited:

IMA_210

Dec 20, 2011
I would suggest caution to anyone that wanted to open this slot, it doesn't close as easily as it come open. There is a small plastic flap, shaped like an arrow, that holds that slot cover closed. My guess is that this flimsy piece of plastic might break off and then you would have an open slot flapping to the wind. One of my co-workers had a look and mentioned that the white substance might be a thermal paste, since it looks to be covered in a very thin piece of copper. iFixit doesnt have instructions on opening this tablet yet, so it would be a complete guess as to how it opens up. I will continue to poke and prod at it with hopes that I dont crack the screen. I had taken a photo of the open slot, but it is rather blurry and I wasnt able to attach it to the post.

Maine_Coon

Nov 19, 2011
don't mess with this guys, it is pretty useless exercize.

vtab was supposed to have 3G GSM ability initially.
then there was a change of plans.
slot is still there because it was cheaper to leave it as it is rather than redesign and remanufacture tablets.