[FYI] Experiment - Restore Methods

faceman

Staff member
Jan 21, 2011
I was just wondering how far the 8 Boot Failure restore method can go.... If i have for some noob reason deleted my boot partition or if i installed a CM ROM or a FROYO ROM and want to go back to my Stock ROM (without having to restore a previous backup via CWR), could the 8 boot failure restore method do the trick of reverting straignt to my previous STOCK ROM? Did my question make sense now? really sorry if i'm not being so clear...:confused:

To answer your question, the '8 boot failures' attempts to kick off the NC's built in recovery process. However, if you have CWR installed, it won't run because your recovery has been changed. What you want to do to initiate the '8 boot failures' is to use a bootable CWR and flash the "remove CWR" zip file. That will revert your internal recovery from CWR back to the stock recovery, thus allowing you to get an '8 boot failure' to run.

However, as J515OP states, if you are going to make a bootable SD card, it's less steps to just use that to flash a "restore to stock" or a "custom rom" install and skip the recovery process.

arus, your can pretty much fix anything at this point if you can power on. Rather than using the 8 boot method you create a bootable SD card and can then flash to any setup you want from stock to custom ROMs. It is pretty hard to brick a Nook beyond recovery.

Thanks, will look at that. I like TI, but need more manual to understand all the options I have. :)