GadgetNutz Exclusive – First Look at new Cruz Reader Android Tablet!

kwoodall

Aug 28, 2010
We just got back from a visit to Velocity Micro’s Richmond, Virginia headquarters where we were given full access to their new eBook reader the Cruz Reader. We’ve reported on this upcoming device before – but this time we had a lengthy hands-on experience with what promises to be the most capable full color Android eBook reader on the market. We’ve got the specs, we’ve got the photos and even a quick video!

http://www.gadgetnutz.com/2010/08/26/a-gadgetnutz-exclusive-first-look-at-new-android-tablets/

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
Some PDN Slatedroid owners are claiming that this is an update of the Pandigitial Novel, which was really designed by Inventec. VM is claiming that they designed it, but it is quite obvious that they didn't.

Or else this is a clone of the PDN, because everything except for the interface is the same. That's even worse.

Any opinions?

NeoStar9X

Aug 6, 2010
That aside has anyone picked this up? Thinking about going down this evening and seeing if I can get one. Thought I might wait on the Tablet version instead of the Reader but I think this might be fine for what I want and it's cheaper. My Kindle is getting slower and instead of buying a new Kindle might as well get this one, especially if I can put the Kindle app on it which seems that I can. Also I feel more comfortable buying from a store I can actually get support from or drive to if I need to return the device or I know has a local presence in the country.

Last edited:

pazvanti

Jun 19, 2010
Android 2.0 is a stopper for me. Everything should be at least 2.1...I honestly want 2.2 because of JIT.

NeoStar9X

Aug 6, 2010
Well I picked it up and liking it so far. To be honest though I don't have a lot to compare it to. I have an iPod Touch, a Kindle 1, and now this. I've used a iPad once but just felt like a larger iPod Touch. I've also used an HTC Incredible for a while so that's the limit of my Android experience. So far my initial impressions are positive. I was able to find and installed the Kindle for Android app on it and so far no crashes when I've downloaded and read a few of my books on my account.

Mokusatsu

Oct 25, 2010
Well I picked it up and liking it so far. To be honest though I don't have a lot to compare it to. I have an iPod Touch, a Kindle 1, and now this. I've used a iPad once but just felt like a larger iPod Touch. I've also used an HTC Incredible for a while so that's the limit of my Android experience. So far my initial impressions are positive. I was able to find and installed the Kindle for Android app on it and so far no crashes when I've downloaded and read a few of my books on my account.

I've read a lot of people griping about the slow speed.

As an e-reader, assuming that reading books is the only thing I'm interested in, is it any good?

I'm about to go to college and I've got a lot of textbooks which I've downloaded as PDFs. Some of these are over 100MB in size.

Does it have the grunt to render books like that and be able to change pages reasonably quickly?

cruzfan

Oct 25, 2010
neostar

I love it as well. I liked it so much I bought one for my wife.

Mokusatsu,

Its not the fastest but it is more than an ereader. Of course it reads books and turns the pages at a decent speed but it plays music and video in very nice color which is much more than many ereaders out there.

I really do think it is a great little device.

jlaubin

Oct 24, 2010
these were on sale at newegg today for 169 and free postage so i took the plunge..I own a 1.5 chinese special. that will be given to a grandson.. having a real set of directions and support will be appreciated...They do sell cover/keyboard combinations for the 7 inch tablets on ebay to eliminate the restive screen hastle..Movies are still ipad format only..New eggs sheet says that the battery is owner removable..meaning you could buy a spare for long air trips.. There are 2 software updates available from micro velocity and it is recommended that they be done as soon as you get the machine...