Galaxy as a phone

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note/Tab' started by Jacob, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Jacob

Jacob Member

I am interested in buying a samsung galaxy tab but am unclear on a few things about it.

What i would like to know is if when i get one i can just use my contract sim card from my phone i use now and just put it in the galaxy tab, does it work?

thanks

2. specmac

specmac Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab
    There are hacks posted on the XDA forum for getting the phone functionality working. This does require flashing the tab however and as you said, a SIM with a calling plan. Depending on which version of the tab and what carrier, you may loose some data functionality.

3. zuc

zuc Member

This is my understanding.

You can use your sim card, but that would mean you have to buy the Tab full price.

The Tab can be used as a phone only after you do some "hacks" to it. The phone capability is disable on the Tabs sold in the U.S.

4. skylt

skylt Member

Tablet / Device:
    Galaxy Tab
    The galaxy Is a phone and can do everything a phone does - but better!

If you have bought it bundled from a Telco operator it may have been messed with to stop you from using other simcards and related services...

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Android Tablet Forum App

5. least.square

least.square Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Buy one that is not locked to a network. You can use your sim from your mobile for voice and assuming you have a data plan then you can use your data allowance with the Tab.

In the UK you can pick up a Tab for £399 so its not really worth being tied to a network provider.

6. Doody

Doody Member

Tablet / Device:
    NexusOne & Galaxy Tab (EU)
    I bought my SGT from Euroland. Slapped my US ATT sim card in (originally from my iPhone) and it works perfectly. It's a quad-band phone, so TMobile and ATT are theoretically kosher.

Doody.

7. kreedy

kreedy Member

I've just started researching and was wondering if paying the extra for a Galaxy was worth it...over paying for a $250 or $300 tablet. I have a Samsung Galaxy Vibrant through T-mobile as a phone. If I can remove the sim and use the tab as a phone on vacation then this pretty much seals the deal for me...as I am looking for a tab to use instead of my laptop. Doubleing as a phone is a bonus! :)

8. djjinx1

djjinx1 Member

I bought a Galaxy Tab after researching the cheaper tabs.. to many problems with the shanzai tabs and the galaxy is built well and runs well..

Read up on XDA about unlocking the tab or import one from the UK which is unlocked ;)

9. sportyrider

sportyrider Member

My Tab is from Australia and I dropped in the US sim card from Att and there it was, the biggest cell phone I could find. Great tab and great phone, so far.

10. Miss Minnesota

Miss Minnesota Member

Please excuse the ignorance but WHERE does the SIM card go? Do you have to open up the back? Mine is screwed in place.

11. Doody

Doody Member

Tablet / Device:
    NexusOne & Galaxy Tab (EU)
    phones sold in the US have different cases - they do not permit access to the sim card slot, which purportedly is still lurking behind the solid plastic. you'd have to take it apart and/or rout out the opening for access to the sim card slot.

doody

12. vferrari

vferrari Senior Member

If you don't want to mess rooting your Galaxy or breaking off the back cover to access the sim but want tablet + phone functionality, take a look at the Huawei S7 - presently on sale at Best Buy for ~$250. It is essentially an unlocked GSM phone with a 7" screen. Most users find it to be a great, cost effective alternative to the Galaxy tab. Albeit with some tradeoffs: Has 2.1 vice 2.2 (but reports of a 2.2 update coming in March 2011); resistive, non-multi-touch screen - but pretty responsive nevertheless; and a smaller capacity battery than the Galaxy. Check out the rather active Huawei S7 forum section here on the site and check out reviews for both the Galaxy and Huawei S7 on BestBuy.com. Good luck.

13. MNRyan

MNRyan Member

Tablet / Device:
    Galaxy Tab
    What would happen if you created or had an extra line on Verizon and called in the HEX number on the back of the Tab for activation?

14. barkway

barkway Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab
    I bought mine in US, T-Mobile branded and I can access the sim card slot. It's right on the side near the SD slot. I tried inserti g my cell phone sim but it didn't recognize it even though it too is a t-mobile sim. Was just trying it to see what it would do.

Sent from my sdk using Android Tablet Forum App

15. sarahemmm

sarahemmm Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab
    Happy to report that my off the shelf Tab works great with a data SIM from 3. I'm using a Samsung WEP210 headset (£5 on fleabay) which connected straight off and works perfectly.