Galaxy Note 10.1 (n8000) - Red X on Power Icon

dominics

Dec 30, 2012
Good morning all, New to the Samsung / Android family - had a ipad but was looking for a tablet that had a pen... so I purchased the Galaxy Note 10.1 and I was impressed with the s pen... I purchased my galaxy in early November and configured the unit without an issue. I had it charging from the power charger and my pc, without an issue... Then in mid November, I turned the unit on and it asked it had a software update; which I let it do... it took about 10 minutes and all looked good... I then needed to charge my unit, and noticed the red x on the icon (regardless whom was charging the unit - power charger or PC/USB).. I noticed if I left the unit on, the charge would take for ever but it would charge. I turned the unit off, and connected to the power charger and the battery icon appeared on the display and I would leave this over night an the unit was fully charged. My question, before the software upgrade everything was great and after the upgrade I started to have this issue... Could this software upgrade cause this issue? Thanks in advance...:confused:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Don't think it was the update, I also got the update and didn't experience the issue and haven't heard of it happening to others. It was just a small update as I remember.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

AuntieParticle

Sep 20, 2012
Perhaps your wall charger is going bad. You might try getting a new one.

Auntie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 on Tapatalk HD

malkie

Nov 9, 2012
The Galaxy note doesn't use the normal USB charging conventions, so it will only fast charge with the original charger and cable. Some add-on cables work OK, but not all. If yours is showing the cross with the original charger and cable then there may be something wrong.

Mine always gives the red cross on the battery symbol when connected to my PC or a non original supply. It does still charge, but very slowly.

I have an adaptor on the way that is supposed to fix this, but at present it is still in the mail.

reckless

Jan 8, 2013
hi everyone.
I also have the same problem as dominics. Over the weekend , I have updated my note 10.1 to Jelly Bean (i love the premium suite features!!) but along with that, the charging hours are verrrryyyyyy longgg...and having to say, since Saturday (now its Tuesday) , I never got to fully charge my note 10.1. even though yesterday i have charged it for more or less 12 hours. It only increase for like 40%? but i do notice, before the update, my usb that is attached to the wall charger is quite hot, but now, that problem resolved. I don't know if my usb cable is not working well, but there is no problem connecting it to my laptop. Is it because of the update?

thinking of downgrading it for exchange of charging hours.
Thanks

macthecat

May 16, 2012
Hi all

This seems a bit strange mine is fine since I upgraded to jellybean and battery life is much improved i recon about 20% better at least, I have had no problems charging either with my factory charger or the dock I bought off amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Uni...XV3W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358350742&sr=8-2, how did you carry out your update; I used Kies which seems to be less problematic that the OTA method, it might be worthwhile trying to use the Kies method and see if this is an improvement.

Hope this helps, cheers
Macthecat

Notable

Jan 19, 2013
I am having the same problem as Dominics...started after the update....has anyone found a solution. I looked at the link supplied by Auntie and that is not the case. I get the red X over the battery when plugged into wall charger.

Good morning all, New to the Samsung / Android family - had a ipad but was looking for a tablet that had a pen... so I purchased the Galaxy Note 10.1 and I was impressed with the s pen... I purchased my galaxy in early November and configured the unit without an issue. I had it charging from the power charger and my pc, without an issue... Then in mid November, I turned the unit on and it asked it had a software update; which I let it do... it took about 10 minutes and all looked good... I then needed to charge my unit, and noticed the red x on the icon (regardless whom was charging the unit - power charger or PC/USB).. I noticed if I left the unit on, the charge would take for ever but it would charge. I turned the unit off, and connected to the power charger and the battery icon appeared on the display and I would leave this over night an the unit was fully charged. My question, before the software upgrade everything was great and after the upgrade I started to have this issue... Could this software upgrade cause this issue? Thanks in advance...:confused:

Notable

Jan 19, 2013
Hello All...I had the same problem with my new Samsung Galaxy note wasn't charging..even with the wall charger. I tried holding the volume up key while plugging in the charger into my tablet. The wall charger was already plugged into the wall socket. So, far ithas been charging. I must admit it hasonly been 10 to 15 minutes ago, but I am able to work on my tablet while its on and it now charges.

Give it a try...

Notable...

germann1

Feb 2, 2013
Hey there, I'm new in here. I've had the note 10.1 since New Years Day. I upgraded to Jelly Bean about 2 weeks ago. No issues of any kind. Not as productive without multi screen capability.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Hey there, I'm new in here. I've had the note 10.1 since New Years Day. I upgraded to Jelly Bean about 2 weeks ago. No issues of any kind. Not as productive without multi screen capability.

Are you saying you lost the multi screen capability?

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1

ashafy

Sep 5, 2013
Just yesterday on G+ Samsung Support USA posted this link about charging issues: My Tab Won't Charge While Connected To The PC : Wi-Fi Tabs | Samsung Perhaps some of you will fine it helpful.

I received the OTA update and I'm not having any charging issues, battery life also seems fine.

Auntie
Sent from my Galaxy Note 10.1 using Tapatalk HD

it is really great help and really red X does not already chaging from pc but it means slow charge .5 amp
thanks again