Galaxy Player 5.0?

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new mp3 player and the Galaxy Player 5.0 caught my eye. Sadly, it doesn't come in a 16GB version. My media collection (at least that which I want to keep on me) is roughly 37GB and growing.

Does anyone know if it will read a 64GB sd card? Also does anyone know if it's getting ICS? I tried to find a definitive yes or no, but couldn't. From my understanding, ICS will be able to read 32+GB cards.

Other than that, I was curious what people that owned it thought of it.

Thanks,
scubaboy

colinwhipple

Apr 21, 2011
My Galaxy Player 5.0 arrived today. I have had several hours to mess with it.

My first thought is that this is not just an music player. It is a mini-tablet computer, like the Ipod Touch..

It can run both the Kindle software and Overdrive Media Console, and works fine as an ebook reader. I can buy books from Amazon and read on it, or download them from my local public library. I can also read numerous public domain books on it. The screen is large enough, and it is small enough to be very portable.

I have loaded a few astronomy apps on it, including Google Sky Map. It has a problem with compass headings.

The Weather Channel app works fine on it.

Colin

sherri64

Dec 26, 2011
It blows iTouch out of the water because it doesn't need iCrapTunes! Daughters touch and cheap phone were stolen together from school locker. Found phone, but didn't work. She wanted an iPhone. Grandma gave her Chanukah money for phone, & I am willing to go for data plan. She would have to buy music. &apps. (Many free sites for android)
Loves the stratosphere. (Free, so grandma got her really cute clothes...)Blows her friends minds with all she can do...(iPhone has better camera....)

Sent from my DROID using Tapatalk

vferrari

Dec 4, 2010
Hello,

I'm in the market for a new mp3 player and the Galaxy Player 5.0 caught my eye. Sadly, it doesn't come in a 16GB version. My media collection (at least that which I want to keep on me) is roughly 37GB and growing.

Does anyone know if it will read a 64GB sd card? Also does anyone know if it's getting ICS? I tried to find a definitive yes or no, but couldn't. From my understanding, ICS will be able to read 32+GB cards.

Other than that, I was curious what people that owned it thought of it.

Thanks,
scubaboy

To answer your question - the player accepts only microSD cards which I think are limited to 32gb at this time.

Sent from my SPH-P100

mattg3

Nov 1, 2011
Love it and you can always buy two 32G cards and swap them out.Sound on this is great if you use poweramp app.Not sure what benefits would be to getting ICS upgrade.It works great the way it is.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
To answer your question - the player accepts only microSD cards which I think are limited to 32gb at this time.

Sent from my SPH-P100

I know it only takes microSD. I just dropped the "micro" since I figure it was understood. They make microSD's that are 64GB (but they're crazy $); not worth buying unless the player would read it.

To answer mattg3's question, ICS would hopefully allow the unit to read a 64GB microSD, once reformatted and assuming there is no hardware limitations. It seems that some people were able to get their Iconia A500 to read a 64GB microSD after reformatting it to FAT32 after one of the updates, I can't remember which.
Being ICS is supposed to be the best of both worlds, I would assume to would bring the card reading abilities to the party.
I know there is alot here that I've decided ASS-U-ME ;) , but that's why I posted to the forum - to see if someone had a better idea that what I've been able to pool together.
Worse case scenario, as long as it's not a hardware limitation, I can always root and flash something else.
Thanks for the input.