Galaxy Tab 10.1 Netflix issue

nikkgmm

Jul 21, 2011
Hello all!
So, as you all know, Netflix recently updated their app to support many devices. One of them is my Galaxy 10.1.
I have installed the newer app and am having an issue running it, where everyone else is not. My tab is rooted, and that is all I have done to it.
Whenever I run the netflix app, it just times out to a webpage.
I actually copied the webpage and tried it on the regular browser, and it times out there as well. My phone can run the app, and go to the page with no problem, on the same network.
It seems like this issue is my local tab blocking access to that site.
Have any of you had this or a similar issue?

Nikk

beastman

May 8, 2011
On WiFi or 3g? If WiFi are any ports blocked? Try going to mcdonalds and watch netflix using WiFi.

Sent from my PC36100 using Android Tablet Forum

nikkgmm

Jul 21, 2011
on wifi, same network with coworkers identical galaxy tab 10.1. His works, mine doesnt. My Samsung fascinate also works on same app installation. I will try another network tonight.

Sep 3, 2011
I downloaded it today by googling netflix samsung galaxy tab 10.1 - installed the modifed version. Runs like a top! Why this is not in the apps market must have to do with someone trying to make money off their stock movie watching SW. BAD!

CobraJo

Nov 4, 2014
Netflix updated their app yesterday (November 3, 2014) and now it indicates that it is not compatible with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (GT-P7510) WiFi running Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4.

Let me back up a little, my Tab 10.1 was experiencing some lockups and thus reboots. So after various troubleshooting attempts with no positive results, I restored it to factory defaults yesterday (thought this only fixed MS Windows). Re-installed the apps that I use and it has seemed to resolve all the issues that I had previously.

Prior to the restore, I had my Netflix app installed and had no problem using it and viewing movies. Now out of sheer coincidence, I restored on the same day that Neflix updated their app.

Netflix indicates my Tab 10.1 is not compatible as follows:
No carrier Samsung GT-P7510
This item is not compatible with your device

It may be that if my Tab 10.1 was a 3G model, the app would be compatible (though not sure) and thus I am inquiring if anyone else is having this problem and if 3G models are also having the problem.

I have gone to the Neflix site and inquired what the requirements are for their app but it does not reference the current release, rather the prior requirements which indicate that my unit is compatible.

Any suggestions other than reaching out to Netflix Tech Support (a chore I do not look forward to doing)?

CobraJo

Nov 4, 2014
Found the solution, Netflix still is making a previous version of it’s app available from their web site, rather than the one available from the Google Play Store. Their instructions are as follows:

Step 1: Allow installation of apps that aren’t from the Google Play Store

First, you'll need to set up your tablet so you can install the application directly from us:

1. Go to Settings.
2. Tap Settings.
3. Tap Security.
4. Put a check next to Unknown Sources: Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play Store.
5. Select OK to confirm this change.

If you prefer, you can roll this change back once you have installed the Netflix application.

Step 2: Download the app on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
On your Galaxy Tab:

1. Click http://mcdn.netflix.com/us/mobile/android/1142/netflix-3.1-41-1142-release.apk.
2. Navigate to the Apps menu.
3. Select Downloads.
4. Select Install.
5. The installation is complete when the notification bar at the top of the screen displays Successfully Installed Netflix.
6. Find and launch the Netflix application.
7. Enter your Netflix credentials using the on-screen keyboard.

You're now ready to watch Netflix on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Enjoy!