Galaxy Tab 10.1: Problem With Browser

stw

Jun 25, 2011
Hi all,

I am actually new to this forum, and I just recently became an owner of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.

I've been very happy with the 10.1, but just one problem, the browser.
Sometimes the browser would crash and jumps back to the home screen by itself. If I go back to the browser again, it would load for a bit, then jump back out again. I tried to use Dolphin browser instead of the stock browser, but it still does the same thing. The only way to fix it is to turn off the device and turn it back on, then it would work just fine. But the thing is that I feel like I should not need to do that to enjoy the browser on my tablet.

So my question is have any other 10.1 owners encounter this problem? Because if yes, then perhaps it's a bug, which can be fixed with a future update. But if not, then may be I bought a defective unit, and I would have to return to the store and ask for an exchange.

Thanks for any replies!

GTNTP

Jun 20, 2011
I have not had this problem. A couple of questions:

1. Have you downloaded many aps that continually monitor or pull information to update on a continuous basis?

2. How is your Wi-Fi connection?

3.Have you downloaded any memory managers...IMO honeycomb does not like these aps and may do some funny things with memory hogs like the browser.

Check your device status and see how much memory is beign used by aps that are currently running when this happens.

The reason I ask is that by turning it off and then back on you may be clearing the memory, which would allow the browser to run more smoothly. Also, try clearing cache and or not accept cookies and see if that helps. Just a few suggestions...others may have a better idea of what is happening.

stw

Jun 25, 2011
I have not had this problem. A couple of questions:

1. Have you downloaded many aps that continually monitor or pull information to update on a continuous basis?

2. How is your Wi-Fi connection?

3.Have you downloaded any memory managers...IMO honeycomb does not like these aps and may do some funny things with memory hogs like the browser.

Check your device status and see how much memory is beign used by aps that are currently running when this happens.

The reason I ask is that by turning it off and then back on you may be clearing the memory, which would allow the browser to run more smoothly. Also, try clearing cache and or not accept cookies and see if that helps. Just a few suggestions...others may have a better idea of what is happening.

Thanks for your response.

1. What do you mean apps that continually monitor or pull information to update on a continuous basis? Sorry, but I am not really familiar with these stuff.

2. Wi-Fi is strong.

3. I have installed "Free Advanced Task Manager" to end apps that I no longer use, which should actually clear up memory.

Now I am worry that my 10.1 has a defective software.
Is there any other forums with more 10.1 owners?

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
first off you dont need task managers for android they do more harm than good

for browser did you try 3rd party like dolphin ?

try typing about:debug in the browser adress bar of rhe stock browser and click settings and user agent - select desktop and see if that works

could be that some sites are not mobile friendly

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

AnimaTechnica

Nov 4, 2010
forgot to add go to debug in settings and look for uastring. in dolphin this is called user agent

stw

Jun 25, 2011
first off you dont need task managers for android they do more harm than good

for browser did you try 3rd party like dolphin ?

try typing about:debug in the browser adress bar of rhe stock browser and click settings and user agent - select desktop and see if that works

could be that some sites are not mobile friendly

Thanks for your help.

As I mentioned above, I did tried Dolphin browser HD, but it still crushed. But since I reboot it last time, both the stock and Dolphin browser are working fine. But if the problem comes back, I'll definitely do what you suggested and see if that helps. :)

GTNTP

Jun 20, 2011
Anima hit the problem on the head...your task manager is probably interferring with honeycombs ap manager and no freeing up memory as you think. This is why when you restart it works fine.

ocellaris

Jun 24, 2011
I have the same issue. When I enter THIS website and go to the forum area the browser crashes itself :(

jsuber

Jul 31, 2010
Mine crashes on this site too so I use Tapatalk. Browser only crashes on this site for me though.

fortytwo

Apr 28, 2011
Some sort of bug. Mine crashes same as above. 90% if the time it's one, or all, of the A-500 forums. Tried the reboot, but no change. I can get to the forums from my laptop, just not from the A-500.

It's not a consistent problem. Sometimes I can access all of the forums; sometimes I get through 6-8 threads before the problem starts. It's worse on the developer's forum than the others. Can't report it there as I use a Verizon air card and that is blocked for some reason.

I did notice a couple of days ago that the problem seemed to happen when my signal dropped to about half on the "V". Today, however, I have full signal and it's happening.

Would be a real bummer if I didn't have the laptop. Early adopter "arrow in the back" penalty for being a BETA tester in my experience ... since DOS 1.0!

Jun 29, 2011
mine does it on many sites so I use tapatalk where possible . On this forum typing is a nightmare on the browser but not as bad as Galaxytabs.net,which doesnt have tapatalk yet

DPG

Jul 1, 2011
This is definately some sort of software problem. I bought the 16GB wifi in the dark metal back cover and had the browser issue (happens all the time on the www.phonearena.com website). Brought the first one back and got the white model. Same issue, browser closes on its own. Switching broswser apps doesn't help. The only thing I figured out that stops the browser from closing on its own is to turn off javascripts. Not a great solution. It's becomming really annoying. When I showed the reps at Bestbuy, they thought there would be a software update to fix the issue.

ShroomSJS

Jun 9, 2011
I bought the 32GB model, and I haven't had any problems with the stock browser.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Tablet Forum

Jan 15, 2011
I was a having a strange issue with the stock browser when I changed to desktop mode. After switching to desktop, Google Image Search began acting weird. An enormous amount of image results would appear on the image result page, all very tiny, all pretty crammed together. The page was simply not formatting properly. And the keyboard wouldn't let me erase anything in the search bar. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that I'd switched to desktop mode. When I remembered that I had done so, I switched back to Android mode in settings, and the page formatted correctly again. The only bad thing about Android mode is that Youtube shows up as a mobile version in the browser, which I don't prefer. Of course, the Youtube app is also available, but I still prefer the desktop browser version. Oh, well. Anyway, I spent almost two hours trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with Google Images. Desktop mode was the problem. Hopefully, I'll save someone else the time I wasted. I was almost going to return the thing to the store before I figured out what I had done to cause the problem.

One other note: During all of the above, I tried Bing image search on the stock browser, which stopped the problem, but then the browser started force closing on Bing images, after scrolling past the first twenty or so photos. I decided to try Dolphin browser and that also resolved the issue - but I hate Dolphin browser, regardless. Lots of things about Dolphin are less than great.

BOTTOM LINE: Deskop mode caused the problem and setting the device back to Android mode fixed the issue.

Last edited:

mattbourge

Jul 30, 2011
I just recently got a samsung galaxy tab 10.1 black, 32gb and LOVE it!!! but i have noticed this same browser crash. whew im glad you too are having this problem so it is a software problem and not defective. Hopefully an update will be available soon!! I also am using the stock browser and dolphin browser HD. I read in a reply that desktop mode could be the issue. I am about to try going back to Android mode bc I have mine in desktop mode and have only noticed it crash since i changed it to desktop mode. that hopefully will be the short-term fix.

Matt