galaxy tab 2 (7.0)

altar133

May 8, 2012
I was thinking about buying this but I cant decide. Which do you think would be better this or the plus? I mainly want it for games, web surfing, camera, and maybe watching videos online.which do you think is better? or do you know another good tablet for 300 dollars or less?

Last edited:

altar133

May 8, 2012
also is it true that if you put a sd card in the galaxy tab 2 7.0, it can only be used to store photos and music, and u cant store apps in it?

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
altar133 said:
also is it true that if you put a sd card in the galaxy tab 2 7.0, it can only be used to store photos and music, and u cant store apps in it?

No, you have read/write access but only with the built in file manager.I've thought about this a bit and I think if you root your tablet other apps, such as ES File Explorer, should work fine.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
One other thing, I think it is a function of Honeycomb and in the case of the 7 2, ICS, that doesn't allow installation of apps on external storage.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
If my memory serves my correctly, this tablet has 8 GB of internal memory. I have 16 GB on my TF101 and have NEVER had issues for space for apps. I have 1.3 GB of space used for apps, 2 GB used for Music (Play Music Cache) and 1 GB for my offline GPS (Sygic). I still have more than half of my space left over.

Even if I could, I do not think installing apps to the microSD card is not necessary, but I guess that is my opinion.

This question gets even more bizarre as I have seen folks with 64 GB TF201 tablets asking how to install apps to the sd...

JustMe21

May 5, 2012
For under $300, you won't be getting the plus. You can also consider the Acer Iconia A100. The specs are similar, but the A100 has a Tegra 2 processor in it while the tab2 has a TI OMAP 4430 processor.

altar133

May 8, 2012
So this means I CAN install apps to the sd card? And do you think I should get the galaxy tab 2 7.0 or the a100?

Last edited:

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
altar133 said:
So this means I CAN install apps to the sd card? And do you think I should get the galaxy tab 2 7.0 or the a100?

The Tab 2 7.0 is somewhat of a mixed blessing, it is actually a scaled back 7 plus, which is actually a very powerful little device in its own right.
You can NOT install apps to external storage on either the Tab 2 7.0 or the A100. So with the a100 you get the Tegra2 but considerably shorter battery life and a screen that is below the quality of the Samsung.
If you want to play 3d games the Acer is the obvious choice, but if your interests trend more toward movies and Web surfing or just reading the better screen and longer battery life of the Samsung would be a better choice. Or you could look around for a 7 plus, I've seen them recently at both best buy and a local Fred Meyer on sale for $299 (this is assuming you are in the states) which is overall significantly more capable than either the Tab 7 2 or the a100.

altar133

May 8, 2012
But ive heard that like 3.5 Gb of the 8 Gb is already taken up when u buy the gt, so will that be enough? Also, I was wondering if it has a pretty decent camera.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This is the problem with lower price devices, there are always compromises. Samsung is counting on the fact that not everything you own has to be installed on your device at once, thus the so called cloud. I have a somewhat ridiculous amount of software installed on my 7 plus and it would fit on the app 4.7 gigs available on the 7 2. I just saw on Amazon a class 4 microsd 32 gig for $20 so content storage isn't much of an issue.
The camera is ok, better for video probably, it is too bad they didn't include the flash as it makes the camera far more useful to me.They also cut the front camera from 2 Meg to VGA which will be a noticeable difference if you use Skype.
I wish I could be more help but maybe someone here has spent some time with the device to see if the limitations are really a problem or not.