Galaxy Tab 4 T530 or unknown Mediacom Smartpad 10 IPRO110B?

Discussion in 'Android Tablet Discussions' started by UnknownUsernameError, Feb 19, 2015.

1. UnknownUsernameError

UnknownUsernameError Junior Member

What should I buy this:
    [​IMG]
    or this:
    [​IMG]
    usage: web browsing, reading comics, playing light games like clash of clans and hearthstone

2. leeshor

leeshor Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5
    Stick with the Tab 4. It's hard to go wrong.

3. mlauzon

mlauzon Junior Member

I also suggest the Galaxy Tab, however, if you're willing to spend a little more money then I'd go with the Galaxy Tab S line of Samsung tablets.

4. carlmart

carlmart Member

Will this Galaxu allow to put in a phone chip or more inside, and connect as a phone?

I woudl like something to use on the road as map reader, connected to Waze, Google Maps or Windows maps.

5. leeshor

leeshor Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    You can install something like CoPilot GPS which is free and has off-line maps. You can't add phone/data to a tablet not designed for it out of the box. You could get a stand-alone GPS unit and connect through bluetooth if it supports it. If you have a USB port there are a few, VERY FEW, 3G/4G dongles that may work or you could get a portable WiFi hotspot.

6. carlmart

carlmart Member

What I found out is that now there maps, provided from programs like Waze, that update constantly problems on the street or avenue options you have to get to a certain destination. Such service needs a phone connection, like any common cell phone.

Which tablet brands and models allow that? I know there are very few that do so.

Can anyone recommend one? Screen doesn't have to be that large, but not too small either. 7" would be the maximum.

I also know some GPS systems have bluetooth interface, and you can transmit to it the info generated on your phone. I don't know how that works, but my nephew used that with Ford Fusion.

7. leeshor

leeshor Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    The best place to look for a tablet that has a data connection is at your cell phone provider's store. They aren't cheap and require a contract.

8. carlmart

carlmart Member

You mean I can not get a tablet that can accept a cell chip, from any phone company I want like I do with my personal cell?

What contract are you talking about? I mean a tablet that I can also use as a phone.

9. Spider

Spider Administrator Staff Member

Tablet / Device:
    NOOK Tablet Stock NOOKcolor Rooted/Flashed Nexus 7 (2013) 32GB Stock
    A tablet has to have WiFi + 3G or 4G or LTE in order for you to use a cell chip in it. Samsung does have models that have that feature, but not the one you provided the ad for.

10. leeshor

leeshor Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    I may be misunderstanding something or I confused you. You CAN get tablets with 3G or 4G chips installed, normally from a cell phone provider. But, you can't add the chip to a tablet that doesn't have the SIM slot, which is what the carriers sell their tablets with.

11. carlmart

carlmart Member

Sorry if the ad I had enclosed confused things up.

I'm not too much of an expert, but I do understand you do need a tablet with SIM slots to plug the chips to.

So again, any recommendations on tablets with SIMs?

12. leeshor

leeshor Senior Member

Tablet / Device:
    Check your cell phone provider's WEB site. The selections are fairly limited and it is a personal preference as to what you can afforrd and other features you want/need.

13. carlmart

carlmart Member

I'm not sure how pre-paid SIMs are handled in your country, but over here, in Argentina and in Europe, you just buy or take a phone that's compatible with the frequencies that country works with, buy yourself a SIM card from any company (just a few dollars) and just recharge it with the time you wish to use your phone for.

My guess is it is the same with tablets, which, as I said, should handle all the phone frequencies of the country you're going to use it.

For internet use via phone line you pay a daily fee, which is discounted from your charged phone. I'm not sure you use the same terms. Of course I mean charging with the minutes you will use your phone.