Galaxy Tab Alternatives

untruestory

Feb 25, 2011
I'm shopping for a tablet and the amount of info out there on a Google search is too much to sort through. I like the Galaxy Tab but don't care about 3G or cameras. Here's my question:

What similar tablets are there to the Galaxy Tab?

What I'm looking for:
-7" screen
-touch screen like the Galaxy Tab (NOT like the archos 7)
-GPS
-WiFi
-active development community

Any suggestions, links to reviews, forums or other websites greatly appreciated!
Thanks! :)

untruestory

Feb 25, 2011
I forgot to mention but the reason I'm looking for something different isn't because I dislike the Galaxy Tab. I just don't like the $500 price tag and since it has features I don't care about. Reason would suggest that if there's something out there without those unneeded features it would be cheaper. :)

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Nook Color. Check out our subforum. I have mine set up pretty comparable to galaxy tab. It takes rooting and some tinkering. Development is pretty good and screen is awesome.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Nook won't work as a phone from what I understand and not sure if it supports ADW launcher and standard market application. I use a Huawei S7, but I see you want a capacitive screen, which is not yet generally available. I heard HTC Flyer is good. Or hold out and wait for Galaxy Tab to fall in price.

Stelv

Jan 12, 2011
Nook won't work as a phone from what I understand and not sure if it supports ADW launcher and standard market application. I use a Huawei S7, but I see you want a capacitive screen, which is not yet generally available. I heard HTC Flyer is good. Or hold out and wait for Galaxy Tab to fall in price.

Rooted Nook Color supports adw launcher, launcherpro, zeam, etc. It supports most all market applications. Has a capacitive screen.

sent from my rooted nook color

dhuhtala

Feb 17, 2011
My suggestion - nothing! There's nothing out yet that provides a good balance of basic usage but still some level of quality at something that's not a ridiculous price. There's talk of the Galaxy Tab 2 coming out with WiFi only and a Xoom Wifi-only version but they're still too much (about $600) - and most seem to be going towards the 10" version. I'd wait another couple of months and watch the flood hitting the market, which should bring down the price of the better quality models - and maybe offer some more 7" models as well.

I've been waiting for 6 months and there's STILL nothing that hits the "sweet spot"...maybe in another 2-3 months, I'm hoping!

alcassetta

Dec 27, 2010
I like the. Elocity A7. , with lastest update Touchscreen now works with 2 fingers,Capacitive, Tegra 2 Duo Core 1ghz.512 ram, 4 gb internal ,sd card slot to 32gb, usb, Hdmi. 1080 output and viewing, sim card slot for upcoming phone software, Fast and smooth movies and gaming , it,sweet!
$299.00 price tag,