Gallery App

roddax

Nov 13, 2011
Hi All,
I have a problem that I cannot resolve. My Gallery app seems to have developed a mind of its own duplicating photos 2 ,3 or 4times within a folder. The grid is ok but when I select a folder which should have say 36 pictures in it up comes over100+ some duplicated up to 4 times! My file manager indicates the correct number as thumbnails and displays correctly on tapping. This problem also exists in Clear fi and Acer media where the photos are followed by camera icons. These on tapping show up as "no thumbnails" which I have deleted individually clearing the folder back to its original number of photos. However on booting up some 3 hours later to show some photos to a friend the problem returned. My partner does not have this problem on her A500 with her photos and comparing settings on the 2 tablets does not indicate any differences. We are both running Android version 4.0.3. This is a very irritating problem as we both take a lot of photographs. The problem does not seem at present to duplicate movie clips!

Any help in resolving this would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Roddax.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Have you tried clearing the cache before powering down? Every time you power down/ up, the Gallery, Clear Fi & Acer Media scan the tablet for media files. The tablet isn't meant to be powered down all the time, you can let it go to sleep to conserve battery instead.

roddax

Nov 13, 2011
Hi,
Thanks for prompt reply. I clear the cache all the time - no difference. I think this something more serious as it it recurring.
Roddax.

2000roadie

Aug 12, 2011
I also have noticed this lately with Acer Media App in movies. When movie is deleted, a partial thumbnail is remaining. I have cleared cash as well as data in the app with no change. Using Astro explorer, only the movies on the SD card are visible and no other file is located.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There is an app on the Google Store called Rescan Media, See if that makes a difference.

2000roadie

Aug 12, 2011
leeshor, thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately, it didn't remove the ghost movies. I removed the sd card and rebooted. When I opened Acer Media, it showed the movies. The ghosting is somewhere in a hidden folder on the internal storage.

weezyrider

Jul 29, 2011
Acer/Google is keeping a copy. I had that with Google Gallery. I had pics on Picasa, got annoyed with Google and deleted all pics from Picasa (using computer). I can't delete Picasa itself. These thumbnails from those deleted pics would show up in gallery even if the phone was rooted. If I used QuicPic, ICS Gallery, or ES file explorer, the pics were not there. As soon as the default gallery was enabled, the thumbnails were there again. I think Google stored them on the cloud somewhere, since you can back up your entire device through Google. I'll bet Acer has them stored somewhere and they appear only if you use stock Gallery.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
The bottom line, for me, is that the Gallery is rubbish. More trouble than it's worth sometimes. For photos use QuickPic. I haven't found a need to open the Gallery since December and haven't missed it.

2000roadie

Aug 12, 2011
Dont' know if this will help others, but after reading weezyrider's and leeshor last replys, I checked Gallery app. The ghosted movies were in there and now are deleted. Checked the Acer Media app and they were no longer listed.

abc_plus

Dec 17, 2012
Hi All,
I have a problem that I cannot resolve. My Gallery app seems to have developed a mind of its own duplicating photos 2 ,3 or 4times within a folder. The grid is ok but when I select a folder which should have say 36 pictures in it up comes over100+ some duplicated up to 4 times! My file manager indicates the correct number as thumbnails and displays correctly on tapping. This problem also exists in Clear fi and Acer media where the photos are followed by camera icons. These on tapping show up as "no thumbnails" which I have deleted individually clearing the folder back to its original number of photos. However on booting up some 3 hours later to show some photos to a friend the problem returned. My partner does not have this problem on her A500 with her photos and comparing settings on the 2 tablets does not indicate any differences. We are both running Android version 4.0.3. This is a very irritating problem as we both take a lot of photographs. The problem does not seem at present to duplicate movie clips!

Any help in resolving this would be gratefully received.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Roddax.
This problem is likely to happen when the SD card is removed out of the Android device and then updated with any picture, music or video files.
This solution fixes both the multiple duplicated folders and false thumbnails:
·Select "Media Storage" located at Settings/Apps/All/
·Select "Clear data"
·Select "OK"
·Turn off your device and turn it on again.
This will force all thumbnails and folders to be refreshed; it can take a while depending on the amount of files.
This problem may be avoided if you transfer files with the SD card inside your android device using the regular USB cable.

abc_plus

Dec 17, 2012
leeshor, thanks for the recommendation, but unfortunately, it didn't remove the ghost movies. I removed the sd card and rebooted. When I opened Acer Media, it showed the movies. The ghosting is somewhere in a hidden folder on the internal storage.

You need to clear the data from "Media Storage" at Settings/Apps/All/. Turn off the Android device, then turn it on again. This will force all thumbnails and folders to be refreshed; it can take a while depending on the amount of files.