Gartner Predicts Android Tablets Will Stay Second to iPad for Next Five Years

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
gartner-tablet-share-1.jpg

Apparently, the marketing research firm, Gartner, has a crystal ball that tells them that the Apple iPad will remain the reigning king of tablets until at least 2015. They also predict that 'Andy' Tablets will continue playing 'catch-up' but will remain in second place after all that time. I'm sure the algorithmic analytics they use are very advanced, but predictions this far out are nothing more than 'tea-leaf reading'. It is interesting to postulate what will be happening, but it only took Android smartphones a couple of years to knock the iPhone off the top. The current crop of Android Tablets definitely need some improvement before they become truly competitive with the iPad, but Google has a tendency to improve things rather quickly. Ultimately, we will have to wait and see whether Gartner or Google can say... "I told you so."

Share your perspective in the forums.

Source: PhoneArena

feverhost

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nov 26, 2010
Gartner is completely out of their mind. Android will beat iOS by the middle to end 2013. Their numbers are "screwy" at best...

Nate Rules

Jan 14, 2011
The ipad 3 will be outdated when it comes out. It will still sell a ton though. I couldn't imagine buying a tablet without flash. I'm sure android will dominate soon.

fbales

May 5, 2010
I tend to agree with the sooner, rather than later Android dominance. What's most interesting, to me, is the market share. Android nearly triples, and Apple loses 35%. That's the trend that matters, and probably faster than Gartner is predicting.