Gday all, GPS on Android

austwa1

Jul 5, 2012
just joined, have used a Linux operating system for many years & love the independence from the greedy monopolies.
.... I purchased a 10" tablet from E Bay 1st one would not boot & the replacement would not run on the battery.
I do need a good tablet that will have a sunlight readable screen & will run an independent GPS program without a mobile connection.
I will look through the FAQs & hopefully find some good recommendations of what I should buy.
I would love to see a comparison of daylight (sunlight ) readability. I have also considered a USB gps but have been told that it is
quite difficult to configure an Android device for a GPS usb or bluetooth dongle.
The program i would like to use is the excellent "Naviator" designed specifically for use in aircraft.
John Robert

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
And Gday to you and welcome

You're correct, a USB GPS is going to be very difficult, at best and possibly unlikely to happen at all. Some GPS blue tooth uints can work with most tablets and if your tablet comes with GPS there are some fine apps on the Store that will pre download maps to your tablet. If you have a SIM card you could use the GPS in the tablet, (if equipped with one) and the Google Maps. The best alternative may be one of the paid apps like Sygic or CoPilot which downloads their own full regional maps.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi John, welcome to Android Tablets. It's nice to have you as a member of the forum. It seems my friend Lee has already given you some advice regarding GPS usage on Android tablets. The best place on the forum for more information information and recommendations for choosing a tablet is the Android Tablet Discussions section. Just click that link and you'll pop right over there. Enjoy the forum!

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Hi Barney, welcome to the forum and thanks for helping out on your first post. Glad to have you as a member of Android Tablets.