General Asus TF700T Question(s)

eric0668

Jul 25, 2012
I am new, my name is Eric. I am not new to Android, but I am also new to Tablets

1. I am a worrier ( :( ) and I see some threads/comments here and elsewhere about possible lag, people less than impressed, and the SD card reading problems.
I am sitting next to my unopened Tablet and I can't wait to open it. When discussing those things with Best Buy, they chalked it up to, some people always do or wanted problems, some of these problems do exist as every tablet has some problems

Is this a problematic tablet or are those answers somewhat correct. Play it by ear. Certainly open it, plan on loving it and handle problems as they come :)

2. Am I correct that the higher the class the faster the micro sd card transfers stuff. what is optimal however. Will I notice a difference in 32gb class 4 and class 10 ? or is class 10 too fast, possibly causing those problems? should i get a 64 of a lower class?

3. I hear of some people doing a factory reset immediately when opening the tablet. Is that necessary or recommended? How about putting in a new blank micro sd...should you format it on the tablet?

Thanks again for any help at all or for just reading
Eric

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
These are all valid questions. I am only going to give my opinion. Others may vary.
1. Open and use it, you will not be sorry. I have one currently for work evaluation and am amazed in comparison to my personal TF101. I have not noticed any lag. The only thing I would say up front is there is always initial QA issues on initial batch runs of all electronica. I have seen this on tablets as well. Usually these are minor, but have seen issues requiring return for a new unit. If there is an actual lag issue, I have not seen it in the week of use.
2.The lower the class, the slower the storage read and write. If only using as a static media such as Text, PDF or even Music, you would be fine, but notice a hesitancy on load. I have seen this on Class 4 and Class 6. If you plan to run movies or high read/write I/O I would suggest always Class 10 or even the newer high speed ultra. Keep in mind, there are LOTS of counterfeit SDHC and MicroSD cards. These are most commonly found on e-bay or similar sites offering the lowest price. You cannot tell the difference without using it or running a test. The labeling anymore is that good. So if the price seems unbelievable for 32Gb MicroSD and you do not know the vendor, be wary
3. Some people do, Others do not. I have done the factory reset and applying latest firmware to see if there was as difference. I found this only valid once when going from Honeycomb to ICS on my TF101. But you will have others who say it is always needed. My opinion is that it depends

molinyc

Sep 9, 2012
Thanks for your comments, I recently ordered the Asus Infinity from A**zn as a replacement for my laptop (which flew off the roof of my truck...) I did my research and overall I'm happy w this brand and model. However this tablet seems to freeze and reboot on a regular basis.... all while simply browsing the web with either Chrome or Dolphin browsers. Before returning it for another Infinity, what other options would you recommend?

Last edited:

gurgle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 6, 2010
You do not say where or what you are trying to do. I do not use Dolphin. So have no idea whether you have a defective unit (possibly) But need more details.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
That freezing could be a long stall. That is more often than not caused by a poor connection with your WiFi. Dolphin should be fairly smooth if the tablet has a good connection. I have several tips in a link below that may help.

Even before doing those things a hard reset may help.