Geocaching with the MID7012

Articus66

Nov 25, 2011
Hello Everyone,

First time posting here, any help would be appreciated!

I have a choice between the Coby Kyros Tablet (MID7012) as a service recognition gift from my employer or a digital camera. The reviews on both aren't very good, but I have a choice between this and a Nikon CoolPix camera of similar quality.

Can I use the Groundspeak geocaching android app on this tablet? anyone have one of these things and use the app? I realize neither of these gifts are of the same quality as those costing hundreds more, but if I'm receiving either for free, I won't complain. Just hoping this cool little app would run on that tablet.

lfom

Developer
Sep 12, 2011
Kyros tablets have no built-in GPS as ResidentEvil said. Nonetheless, you can add WiFi location (finds me around my block using Maps, so I'd say it works relatively well) manually after enabling root in the tablet or installing a custom firmware (if there is one for 7012, I haven't seen one so far), and even add support to a compatible GPS via USB. That said, you will have to make sure the app you want to use support these features (WiFi location and/or USB GPS).