Get a New Nook Color Stock Charge Cable Free

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Why couldn't they just use a standard micro-USB like everyone else? (kindle, blackberry, etc...)

Those will also work they just won't charge as fast. The advantage of the Nook cable is that it has extra pins to carry more juice and recharge faster.

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I just called for a new wall charger, my cable is working when I plug it into the car charger but the guy said he placed a request for cable and charger ...... I guess is my Italian accent!

gg

Sent from my NookColor using Android Tablet Forum

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I just got the wall charger,no cable but I didn't need it anyway......free of charge,no request of returning my broken one. This one charges my nook in an hour and a half instead of 3....amazing!

idontknow

Alternate ATF App Tester
Jan 13, 2011
I just got the wall charger,no cable but I didn't need it anyway......free of charge,no request of returning my broken one. This one charges my nook in an hour and a half instead of 3....amazing!

Avtually, 2 days later I got the cable as well.

tonedef71

Dec 22, 2011
Shortly after I purchased my Nook Color, the plastic casing on the small end of the USB cable cracked and broke off. I used scotch tape to hold it together, but now the metal connector is bending and may snap off at any time.

I called 1-800-843-2665 and was eventually transferred to the Digital Products department (I'm not sure which menu prompt gets you to them directly). After providing them with my Nook Color's serial number, the level-one support representative was unable to issue the replacement request because there was no warranty info on file.

I'm guessing that since I purchased my Nook Color from a Best Buy store, B&N did not have the warranty information for the unit's serial number in the system. Level-two phone support was able to update the warranty info for my Nook Color, but then I was informed that it takes twenty-four hours for the updated information to post in their system.

I have to call them back in twenty-four hours, and then the next level-one phone support representative who services my call should be able to issue the replacement cable. Once the order for replacement is issued, I was told that I could expect the new cable to arrive within three to five business days.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Did you complete the nook setup and registration when you first took it out of the box and used it?

tonedef71

Dec 22, 2011
Did you complete the nook setup and registration when you first took it out of the box and used it?

You're absolutely right! I DID have to complete a setup and registration process when I first turned the unit on. So now I'm wondering what the issues really was with the warranty and why I had to wait twenty-four hours.

Anyway, I called back and the support representative I spoke to was unable to find status of my previous call. Did the previous representative botch the processing of my support call, or was the current representative incompetent? The thought of going through the process all over again and waiting another twenty-four hours annoyed me greatly, so I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was put on hold (if I had a dollar every time I was put on hold, I could buy a ...), and after what seemed like an eternity I finally had to hang up because I was at work and needed to go to a meeting.

Later on in the day, I decided not to call support again, but instead try out the "Chat live with an expert" option on the Barnes & Noble Nook support page: <https://barnesandnoble.ehosts.net/n....barnesandnoble.com/u/NOOK-Support/379003184/>

In my humble opinion, the online live chat is a better experience than phone support for a number of reasons. Since most of the support representatives are people of foreign origin, communicating via text messages offers better communication -- no thick accents to interpret, no having to always spell out and repeat what's been said, etc. You still have to type and spell well, and avoid the use of American expressions and idioms. Another benefit is not being put on hold -- you can look away from the screen for a moment and still be able to catch up on any message you missed, and you don't have to type anything until you're ready. As a bonus, you have the ability to print out the entire session transcript for future reference.

The support representative informed me that a replacement USB cable was being sent out and should arrive in three to five business days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When it arrives, I'll leave a follow-up post.

tonedef71

Dec 22, 2011
The support representative informed me that a replacement USB cable was being sent out and should arrive in three to five business days. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. When it arrives, I'll leave a follow-up post.

The replacement USB cable was delivered today -- no wall plug, as expected, since mine did not need replacing. Well done, Barnes & Noble -- it arrived within two business days! It looks just like the original, so I'm guessing that no re-design has occurred with the release of the new Nook Tablets to prevent the cable from falling apart again. Well, if Barnes & Noble is willing to continue replacing faulty USB cables for free, then that is fine by me -- the only cost to me is a phone call (or live chat text messaging).

Cheers.
ToneDeF71

MISRy

Sep 4, 2011
Just call with your serial number and explain the problem. Let us know if they turn you down.

mrredpants

Jan 15, 2012
For the record, I was able to get my cable shipped using live chat support from B & N website - and this was at 10:45PM EST on a Sunday night!

I provided my serial number and email. There was no issue at all.

Thanks.

PS - this was are on site I went to and just clicked LIVE CHAT: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/customerservice/contactus

*UPADATE**

I was shipped a complete charging set - cable and wall plug, FYI.

Last edited: