Getting A Little Frustrated

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
Just got my S7 today! Okay, I should have known that since this is my first Android device, there would be a learning curve. Please help me if you can! Here's my initial question:

Does the S7 have more than 175MB of internal storage? I've seen people saying 8GB, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. When I try to take a photo it says I have to have an SD card inserted. When I try to open Docs2Go it says I need an SD card inserted. When I open the file manager, it says "No memory card". Is this normal?

Also, when I connect it to my PC via USB, it recognizes the device but then it doesn't mount the device as an external drive. How am I supposed to do this? I've combed through these forums and I'm having a hard time finding any solutions to these issues that work for me.

When I connect via USB, there's no notification that says "Mount SD" or "Mount Tablet".

When I open up the SD card & tablet storage options it says the following:

Internal tablet storage
-TOTAL SPACE
175MB

-AVAILABLE SPACE
120MB

SD card
-TOTAL SPACE
Unavailable

-Available Space
Unavailable

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Sorry for the frustration. Let's take this step by step

1. Yes, there is 8 Gb internal built-in, but only 175 Mb is available for apps, that actually is enough for most people. The remainder is for storage. The fact that you can't see it is a little disconcerting. You may have a bad device.

2. When you connect it to your PC via USB, look in the upper right corner of the tablet, you will see an exclamation mark. Click that and then you will see the notification for mounting it as a USB. It is not a direct pop-up

3. The fact that apps can't see the remaining space is also concerning, see item one. You may try doing a full reset if you want and see if perhaps there is a disk issue, otherwise exchange the device.

We are here to help, and I think you have made a great choice for a tablet.

Welcome and good luck.
-p

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
When I connect via USB, there is no notification when I click on the icon in the upper right hand corner.

This is the one that I bought...it says nothing about 8GB of internal storage:

Huawei S7 Android Tablet (WiFi, 900/2100 3G, 7-inch Screen) #S7-103 - eXpansys Inc

I'm going to try and contact Expansys. I read some reviews and most people have had good experiences with Expansys, so I'm sure I'll be able to contact them via email.

The first thing I'll try is a full reset...I will keep you guys posted. Thanks for all the help!

SikYou

Dec 25, 2010
That one says noting about 8g of storage so i'm guessing you don’t have it. You will not get a notification to mount unless you have storage media to mount, put sd card in.

Sent from my Ideos S7

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
No, I don't have one yet. I was kinda banking on using internal storage. The ad also says NOTHING about GPS, but the one I got most definitely has GPS...I'm doing a full reset right now.

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
Oh, nevermind...I need an SD to do a reset! I'm starting to get the impression that this tablet is a little useless without an SD card. I'll run and grab an 8GB at Walmart right now.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
GPS and Accelerometer are built in to the Snapdragon chip, so all S7s have it. The 103 does not have built in memory, in the US it is the 104 at Best Buy that does. I am not sure about the European and Asian variants, although as I said before I know the Telstra build also does not.

Now, that brings up to me and interesting questions which i never really thought about before. Since the 8Gb internal SD variants have RAM allocated for OS and apps, how does this work on the non-8Gb models? Is there something like a 256Mb chip where the 8Gb goes? Where are those devices getting their storage from?

tuffigirl

Dec 17, 2010
Good questions.... I hope someone can answer. And maybe those devices are able to take a 32GB after all since they don't offer any extra storage.

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
I just got off the phone with Expansys and they clarified a lot of things for me.

1. The model that I purchased has a 256MB ROM that handles internal storage for apps etc.
2. There is NO internal 8GB.
3. They can indeed handle up to 32GB MicroSD cards...which is awesome! In fact, Expansys offers the S7 bundled with a 32GB MicroSD in the UK...not the US though.

I just purchased an SD and I'm rooting it right now. I'm happy...I was just getting frustrated with the castrated version of the tablet. I should have just bought an SD to begin with!

Thanks for everyone's help!

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
Somethings amiss because ROM never allowed the installation of anything other than an OS flash.
Check again with Expansys, I think they are wrong.

Sent from my Ideos S7 using Android Tablet Forum App

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
Well, the "Internal Storage" section on my Tablet says that there's a total of 175MB of space. There's now only 66MB of Available space after installing apps. So whether its a ROM or a small capacity internal sd card...it is what it is. There's absolutely no sign of an 8GB internal storage device.

TechRemedy

Jan 4, 2011
Which is fine by the way...now that I have an SD card. I am REALLY banking on a 2.2 update or beyond 2.2 would be even better. If I can't install apps onto the SD card, I'm going to be very bummed out. It's funny to see how badly people want 2.2 because of Flash support...that's really low on my priority list personally. I can watch most Flash videos with SkyFire so, it's not really a big deal. Hulu would be very nice though and it doesn't work in SkyFire.

I'm very happy with the S7 now that it's doing what its supposed to do though.