Getting a new phone that allows tethering with Tablet S

JeffreyW75

Aug 3, 2012
I couldn't find a way to tether my long-serving Nokia N97 Mini with my new Tablet S. Appears that the Nokia only does ad hoc, not infrastructure, and that the Tablet S doesn't do ad hoc, only infrastructure. I don't think I want to try "rooting" my new Tablet. So it seems my only option to share internet is to find a new phone that allows that, maybe through installing an app on both my new phone and Tablet (can't do that with Symbian apparently--cross-platform)?

So please share with me your existing phones that you use to share your 3G mobile networks with your Tablet S so I can consider buying one of them soon. I hate to part with my Nokia, but there doesn't seem to be a solution here.

Also, I have the grandfathered AT&T data plan using a non-smartphone, as the Nokia isn't recognized as a smartphone (AT&T never sold them basically). So I want to keep that going forward--so my new phone has to not be in serious danger of being recognized as a smartphone and bumped up to a higher cost, limited data plan. I'd like to keep my phone cost under $300, and without a new contract with AT&T. Doesn't need to be the latest phone, but at least a little better than my old Nokia N97 Mini would be good.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

akvasu

Dec 1, 2011
Hi

Sony phones seem to be able to Tether easily - I tried Xperia P, Xperia S, Xperia Ray (so Xperia Ion should work too)
Also HTC phones work.

The rule of thumb - Check for Phones that support Wifi HotSpot as a Infrastructure Mode. Nokia phones (and most other phones) support only Ad-Hoc Mode.

Thanks
Anup

JeffreyW75

Aug 3, 2012
Hi

Sony phones seem to be able to Tether easily - I tried Xperia P, Xperia S, Xperia Ray (so Xperia Ion should work too)
Also HTC phones work.

The rule of thumb - Check for Phones that support Wifi HotSpot as a Infrastructure Mode. Nokia phones (and most other phones) support only Ad-Hoc Mode.

Thanks
Anup

Good suggestions. I only wonder which, if any, AT&T doesn't recognize as a smartphone on their system. I don't see any information on them in that regard. Also, I thought there was talk about Android updating their software so that their devices can recognize Ad-hoc Mode? Did this happen, and Sony just didn't implement it yet? Or am I mistaken?