Getting by WITHOUT CWM

Morgue

Apr 1, 2011
I read a lot about repartitioning, fixing permissions, Davlick, wipes etc. using ClockWorkMod, but how does one do these without it?

I suppose it is easy enough to go back to stock via nvflash if I want to go to the 1.2 based ROMS later, but thought I would just keep it simple for now and use the old school update.zip methods.

I have a read a lot but seem to be missing this step if one chooses to not use CWM

Last edited:

mydave

Mar 21, 2011
Have you tried to hold Volume Up + Power buttons until a small message appears on top right corner ? Stock Firmware has some basic option in the boot recovery, such as Wipe/Factory Reset. It should be sufficient in most case.
The advantage of CMW, in my opinion, is the nanoidbackup, which makes switching from one Rom to another a breeze. Once a Rom is found to one's liking, then return to that 'old school update.zip' method.

Dave

fridge011

Mar 19, 2011
Lat I heard you can't repartition without cwm. If u get stuck in a bootloop u will probably have to put cwm on ur device to partition it.

Morgue

Apr 1, 2011
Lat I heard you can't repartition without cwm. If u get stuck in a bootloop u will probably have to put cwm on ur device to partition it.

This was what I as assuming. I read that some never need to do this and some do. But it appears that doing so is in many cases at least is one of the initial troubleshooting steps. I guess I should just go re-try to find info on returning device back to stock ROM and recovery so that if I need to return it, or update to the 1.2 branch then I know how. The information on how to do so is getting more straight forward with the latest release. Just seems removing CWM is a bit involved as most instructions say to use CWM t re-flash base stock, then wipe, then NVflash the old recovery.