Gingerbread Android 2.3.6 Beta version for Le Pan 1 TC970 - out for testing

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Got some new information for all of you running CM7 Beta.

I posted a message at XDA Devs thread today, with a question about the duplicate MAC address problem we had noticed :

Can someone running CM7 Betas check and report their MAC address for the wireless adapter? (your router will show it, it can be seen in Settings - About device also I think)

It seems some people are seeing:
Code:
44:C1:5C:29:DE:3F
...showing in different tablets. Which is a no-no, as all nics should have unique mac addresses.

My LP1 shows that MAC when running CM7, but it doesn't match the original MAC it had and is stored in my router's Static IP table.

This is a fairly serious issue - two people running CM7 Beta in the same network will promptly get disconnected, as there's an address conflict. (this happened and was reported by gsgorveatt at LPL)

And I received this reply from cas_xp :

cas_xp said:
The WL1271 chips do not come with unique MAC address. you need to buy MAC address and modify the MAC address in the NVS file. In my beta version, you will find it in /system/etc/wifi/nvs_map.bin.
0x3 - 0x6 : MAC addr LSB
0xA - 0xD : MAC addr MSB

You can modify it by yourself.

Would recommend you look up the MAC address of your TC970 when running factory firmware, and use that, by editing the nvs_map.bin file as cas suggested.

You will need a Hex editor though, as the file extension being .bin, it is a binary one.

Hex Edit explained in detail in my next post below.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Thanks, dhamma for posting the walk thru of his procedure at LPL.

It's been a while since I last used a Hex editor, so it needs some refreshing for me.

Do NOT change the other bytes in the MAC address :
Code:
44:C1:5C:29:DE:3F
...just the final three 29 DE 3F.

The initial 3 Bytes string (44 C1 5C) identify the Manufacturer, in this case Texas Instruments, and you shouldn't change them. The Final 3 Bytes are what should be different for every tablet. Possible values range for that is in Hexadecimal numbers, so they could be between '00 00 00' and 'FF FF FF'.

a. First thing, get a Hex editor, I used the TubaTools Hex Editor, same as dhamma linked to. Easy to find in Market with a 'Hex Editor' search.

b. If you have never used a Hex editor before, it's a bit intimidating, just work carefully, don't touch any files other than what you need - the /system/etc/wifi/nvs_map.bin file. Load it and you will see :

hexeditoroffset.png

As cas_xp pointed out, the MAC address for the wireless interface are very near the front of the file. The values are in reversed order (odd, but usual for Hex files). In normal notation, we could be looking for the final 3 Bytes in the MAC address, currently "29 DE 3F".

You can see then in the picture above, inside the red ellipse. Note they are reversed, showing '3F DE 29'.

Carefully touch a finger tip, try to get the first Byte, 3F. Then a box pops up for editing the value :

hexeditoroffsete.png

..and you can type in the value you want.

Then press the RIGHT arrow in that screen - and the next Byte will be loaded, if you want to edit it as well. Once more if you want to edit the 3rd Byte value.

Then Menu key, Save file. Done.

Turn wifi on and off and you will have the new MAC address in place. I forgot to turn it off, did the edit while wifi was on, but it still worked fine. After toggling wifi, new MAC address showed in the router. ;)

luv2blze

Feb 11, 2012
Thanx man. Hey, we can hope!! In fact, I'm being a little greedy. I'm in love with Gingerbread on this thing and now I'm really wondering, how much better can he make this? I can't use Google Currents, but I discovered Feedly, which pretty much does what Currents does. I don't care about the camera as I'm not a big video chat person. Things that gave some issues with Froyo, don't have any on Gingerbread like Netflix. It kept prompting me for an update that couldn't be installed as "my device wasn't supported" lol. It's running the latest version and it's quick! I wouldn't mind a high performance kernel, but this thing as fast already. Thanx to all developers who contributed to this!!!

Mar 16, 2012
cmlogo.png

- Finally, it's time to install CyanogenMod 7. :)

From the main CWM menu, select 'Install Zip from SD card'. Then 'choose zip from sdcard', and navigate to the proper file, select the one you copied to the SD card earlier.

The Beta0 version filename is 'update-cm-7.2.0-RC0-griffin-sign.zip', this will change a bit as the project advances.

Currently, the latest version is the Beta 3 release - Download it here.

- After you finish writing it, use the 'Reboot' option on CWM main menu.

Hey guys I've got another question. I posted on the instructions page but I haven't gotten a response; I thought the page was no longer active. Here's my noob question. I downloaded both files for the update. One called "ClockWorkMod_for_CM7_griffin.zip" and "update-griffin-Beta3-sign.zip". When the instructions say "select the one you copied to the SD card earlier" which one do I choose? Also I assume both these files need to be on the SD card right(lol)?
Thanks in advance.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Fresh News - cas_xp just posted this :

cas_xp said:
Beta4 released! With Camera and audio capture working!

and from the Release thread Changelog:

cas_xp@XDA Developers said:
[Update] Mar 18. 2012
This is the fresh installation, so, backup first!!
Audio capture OK
Camera OK
Integrated with the latest Google play.
---------------- I have put device files into my github.com account, see my signature.
Camcorder is not working.
720P video playback not working
GPS not working

CM7 Beta 4 Download link HERE.

or Download from MIRROR here.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2012
It's great to hear progress is being made! :D I actually haven't gotten a hold of my Le Pan yet, still on its way from Newegg. For anyone who's got it running, how does Beta 4 run? I guess I mean is there any lag?

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
jack - since Beta 0, CM7 has been faster/smoother/prettier/sexier and all around nicer than the poor Froyo release made by Le Pan.

It's getting better all the time too. ;)

richkidakaleo

Mar 21, 2012
I neeeed helppppp Pls guys. I went into recovery mod then did a restore but changed my mind and just wanted to reboot back to my system. and it got stuck in this recovery crap and only givin me 2 options. reboot or factory wipe. I've done everything,Literally.Power + vol down) reset + vol down) reset + power. Everything i do It comes right back to this menu..... I'm gonna$IMG00758-20120322-0006.jpg cry. Please help.... Thanks

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
It looks like you have a botched system install - and you are into the factory reset mode.

Best way to recover from this would be with ADB - install it, get it working, connect the tablet (make sure the SD card is the one with CWM and the Beta4 install files).

And type in the magic incantation 'ADB reboot recovery', you will be taken right to CWM.

DON"T forget to wipe the 3 caches (User Data, Data partition, Dalvik cache), and use 'install zip from sd card' to install CM7.

See my guide for ADB here to get it working. Good luck!

sleepyguy

Mar 22, 2012
Hi there, this is a super easy fix. I had the same issue first when trying to install the CWM files. Follow setups below. Your tablet in a recovery weird mode

Connect your usb power (yes connect it unlike what the firmware instructions say)

hold vol- + power... you will see a weird screen and it will be in some odd recovery menu. ENABLE usb and boot into recovery.

if you have the CWM files on your SD (which you should... way better the default ones) it should load up perfectly, you can now unplug your USB

Restore previous or flash rom from zip... go up up down down until back button is enabled.

Pretty simple... took me about 10mins to figure out.

I'm back to Froyo myself... until this ROM is 100% complete... great work though BTW! This think definately needs an OC kernel.. would love to get 1200 or 1300 out of the CPU if possible... lagging in a few MKVs i got and I HATE HATE HATE reencoding movies :)

post back if your confused about the steps.

I neeeed helppppp Pls guys. I went into recovery mod then did a restore but changed my mind and just wanted to reboot back to my system. and it got stuck in this recovery crap and only givin me 2 options. reboot or factory wipe. I've done everything,Literally.Power + vol down) reset + vol down) reset + power. Everything i do It comes right back to this menu..... I'm gonnaView attachment 6033 cry. Please help.... Thanks

Last edited:

nomade

Feb 22, 2012
Great work yann2, just upgraded today.

I've been able to play with the camera using the Camera app but not with Skype or ooVoo, anyway to get this to work?

Mar 16, 2012
Hey guys! So i got my Le Pan and it's running Beta 4, and honestly, it's pretty great. The one downside, whether it's the beta or not, is that the Wi-Fi connection is awful. Even if i'm within about 25ft of my N router it's constantly off and on. My other wireless devices work fine and they don't even support N. Does anyone else have this problem? Is it the Beta or just cheap manufacturing? and finally is there any way to ease this?
Thanks

luv2blze

Feb 11, 2012
I'm a little confused. In Beta 3, the GPS worked. Can someone confirm that it's not working in the latest verion?