Gingerbread Android 2.3.6 Beta version for Le Pan 1 TC970 - out for testing

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Great work yann2, just upgraded today.

I've been able to play with the camera using the Camera app but not with Skype or ooVoo, anyway to get this to work?

Thank you, glad things are working for you. The tinkering with Android is sure a lot of fun for me. :)

cas_xp is not finished with the camera - the snapshots part is working well, I think, but recording or streaming video might not be ready yet.

jack - wifi is not very good in the Le Pan tablets in general (I have a long and detailed discussion thread with screenshots, measured bandwidths, etc here).

I found that my LP1's wifi worked best (although not optimail) with the 4749 leaked factory firmware. It was never posted on the Le Pan site, but we got a copy from their FTP server.

Have been asking cas_xp to please use 4749 as the base for his CM7 Beta builds, a lot of the drivers and parts are taken from the Le Pan original firmware since we don't have source code or drivers for it.

If you want to try and see how yours runs with that version, you could do a full Nandroid Backup of your CM7 Beta, install 4749 (wippe the caches as usual for ROM installs) and test it. Then compare your results.

Here's a snapshot of a 650 MB video file being copied from my Windows Server2003 machine to the tablet - this while running 4749 version:

androidfilecopy.png

This is about 8 Mb/s average, and it's quite choppy (not a nice thing, as it shows inconsistent speed).

And if I try it with CM7 Beta (all beta versions so far are built with firmware 4431 base, I believe) :

cm7beta4test12mb.png

It looks better, showing higher speed, about 12 Mb/s average. BUT - the file transfer dies, after maybe 5% or so. You can see it on the sudden drop in the graph.

cas_xp made a similar test, and his tablet copied the file OK, his graph looked similar to my 4749 version one. What changes? there might be variations in the hardware from tablet to tablet, antenna placement, etc.

For me, CM7 wifi works best with WiFi Fixer app (free from the Market), at least it sees and tried to restore the dying wifi connections.

For comparison purpose, here's a similar test, same size file, running in our Archos 101T tablet (with UrukDroid 1.6.1 firmware) :

archosfilecopy.png

:(

Wifi is a major issue for tablets. It's their only umbilical cord to the 'Net and other systems in your own network. Wifi in the Le Pans needs improvement, it's complicated and I am not sure how much we can achieve in the end though.

Mar 16, 2012
Hey another question here. My tablet seems to be turning it self off when I put it to sleep causing me to press the reset button or it won't turn back on. Is anyone else having this issue or is it just because of the Beta? I'm thinking of sending my tablet into Le Pan for them to look at it.

richkidakaleo

Mar 21, 2012
I'm back to my stock firmware and with everything workin fine. Didn't lose nothin. I was usin a different sd card because i didn't want to lose my stuff on it but i went and put it in and did a restore and BOOM. I'm back to business. Thanks a mill............................
Hi there, this is a super easy fix. I had the same issue first when trying to install the CWM files. Follow setups below. Your tablet in a recovery weird mode

Connect your usb power (yes connect it unlike what the firmware instructions say)

hold vol- + power... you will see a weird screen and it will be in some odd recovery menu. ENABLE usb and boot into recovery.

if you have the CWM files on your SD (which you should... way better the default ones) it should load up perfectly, you can now unplug your USB

Restore previous or flash rom from zip... go up up down down until back button is enabled.

Pretty simple... took me about 10mins to figure out.

I'm back to Froyo myself... until this ROM is 100% complete... great work though BTW! This think definately needs an OC kernel.. would love to get 1200 or 1300 out of the CPU if possible... lagging in a few MKVs i got and I HATE HATE HATE reencoding movies :)

post back if your confused about the steps.

sicclee

Apr 1, 2012
Let me start by saying that u guys rock, I bought the tablet when it was first released and have been waiting for some awesome folks like you to put GB on it. Most everything is working great. The only problem (besides the camcorder not working) is it seems the tab will power off while charging intermittently and its like hell to get it back on. I've tried volume down plus power, reset, both of those while pluggen in and not, and with/without the SD card in. Finally After plugging it in again the battery logo pops up and I can proceed to power it on. This has happened twice tonight. I will report back if I can narrow down the specific circumstances before powering down and being able to power on.

Also, I'm not sure why or what it is, but I noticed an icon with double arrows next to the 'quick notifications' icon on the notification bar. It didn't do anything when pressed, and now its gone. Weird.

Lastly, i have google+ on both the le pan and my phone, same build number, and on the tablet the video button doesn't show up on the hangout screen. Does anyone know if this is just because the camcorder isn't working or is it for another reason (like it detected the device model and removed the button)?

Thanks for everything, awesome work!

Edit: ok just happened again. Was charging and I checked it after a couple of minutes, everything was fine. Walked away for 20 minutes, then it was off. After trying everything except the reset button, I realized it had to be that. Reset button got it going... now just gotta figure out why its shutting down...

Edit2: ok it just charged over night no problems, must be something with USB debugging...

Last edited:

richkidakaleo

Mar 21, 2012
I'm having that same problem with not powering on. I've move and remove everything. I see the battery powering when plugged in but it still not coming on.:mad: I get to the lepan logo and nothing after:mad:. Help please....You guys are doing a great job btw. I love it but I need a stable tablet so I'll stick with Froyo until these issues fix...
Let me start by saying that u guys rock, I bought the tablet when it was first released and have been waiting for some awesome folks like you to put GB on it. Most everything is working great. The only problem (besides the camcorder not working) is it seems the tab will power off while charging intermittently and its like hell to get it back on. I've tried volume down plus power, reset, both of those while pluggen in and not, and with/without the SD card in. Finally After plugging it in again the battery logo pops up and I can proceed to power it on. This has happened twice tonight. I will report back if I can narrow down the specific circumstances before powering down and being able to power on.

Also, I'm not sure why or what it is, but I noticed an icon with double arrows next to the 'quick notifications' icon on the notification bar. It didn't do anything when pressed, and now its gone. Weird.

Lastly, i have google+ on both the le pan and my phone, same build number, and on the tablet the video button doesn't show up on the hangout screen. Does anyone know if this is just because the camcorder isn't working or is it for another reason (like it detected the device model and removed the button)?

Thanks for everything, awesome work!

Edit: ok just happened again. Was charging and I checked it after a couple of minutes, everything was fine. Walked away for 20 minutes, then it was off. After trying everything except the reset button, I realized it had to be that. Reset button got it going... now just gotta figure out why its shutting down...

Edit2: ok it just charged over night no problems, must be something with USB debugging...

Vladi_Canada

Apr 3, 2012
Hi, everybody. I just bought the Le Pan TC970 as a gift for my brother. I sended it him, but we can't communicate by Skype or Tango. I don't listen him, just receive loud noise as a feedback. If the vesion 4749 could fix the problem? Thanks.
Another question. I downloaded 2 versions of griffin.ifw, one from this site (4 727KB) and second from cas_xp (98 435KB). What's difference between them?

Last edited:

richkidakaleo

Mar 21, 2012
I'm on the Beta 4 only because I love the DSP Manager. It make your music sound soooo sweet. If there's an app like this for Froyo pls let me kno. They all seems to be for custom roms. I love the Rom but I'm having 2 issues so far. The accelerometer SUCKS. I cant play any game that uses it cause it's all over the place. And some game don't go full screen like Real racing 2 and Fast 5. I love racing games so you know that's a big issue for me. If you can tell me how to fix these issues then it would be great... Besides that,the Rom is great.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Hi, everybody. I just bought the Le Pan TC970 as a gift for my brother. I sended it him, but we can't communicate by Skype or Tango. I don't listen him, just receive loud noise as a feedback. If the vesion 4749 could fix the problem? Thanks.

It would be worth trying - my only problem with CM7 Betas is the wifi being less able than when I used factory firmware v.4749. Make a Nandroid backup, wipe the caches and install the 4749, test it out.

You can quickly restore the Nandroid backup if you prefer it, or if there's no difference in the app's performance.

Another question. I downloaded 2 versions of griffin.ifw, one from this site (4 727KB) and second from cas_xp (98 435KB). What's difference between them?

The 4.7 MB file is the ClockWorkMod file. The 98 MB one is the CM7 Beta, but it's not called griffin.ifw - that's the standard name for a Le Pan factory firmware file, I would guess you downloaded it from their site, perhaps?

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Apr 17, 2012 :

BETA 5 released yesterday -- From the XDA Release thread, Changelog:

cas_xp@XDA Developers said:
[Update]Apr 16. 2012
This is the fresh installation, so, backup first!!
720P video playback working
------------------------------
Camcorder is not working.
GPS not working.

CM7 Beta 5 Download link HERE (Mirror) .

electrokid

Apr 21, 2012
Help needed...when trying to boot into cwm (vol. down and power button) my tablets boots up normally...doesn't enter cwm..any ideas why?

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
You should try holding the two buttons for a longer amout of time, you might be releasing it too soon.

A nice and easy way to get to CWM is to use ADB, if you have it installed - just typing 'adb reboot recovery' will take you straight into it, no buttons to push.

I have a nice tutorial thread here on how to install QtADB, and that is fairly simple; will give you a working ADB install, very handy for many tasks in Android.

Good luck! :)

luv2blze

Feb 11, 2012
Is anyone having issues with 720p playback? I still gets stuttery and pixalated and loses sound.

yann2

Jan 24, 2012
Is anyone having issues with 720p playback? I still gets stuttery and pixalated and loses sound.

That could be caused by wifi, streaming issues. Try testing a video downloaded to the tablet itself; a local file will not have to use the network, and you will know any problems are on the tablet itself.