Gingerbread to my Ideos S7 development

elf310

Jan 10, 2011
have you tried redownloading the update.zip, the first one i downloaded was corrupt, redownloaded and loads fine

goodoane

Nov 25, 2010
@megoelmasry
Do you have backup?...
If you have do this.
You need to format with clockworkmod recovery : data partition,system partition,boot partition,cache partition.
This can be done in Recovery>Mounts and Storage Menu>format data>format system>format boot>format cache.
If is not working then try with an original rom.

Entropy

Dec 24, 2010
I haven't been around here too much as I've been focusing on Android on my Tilt2 lately, but:

I wouldn't try to change too many things at once. If Gingerbread userland can work on an older kernel (I'm fairly certain it can, since 2.6.35 on MSM7k devices isn't really working yet but they do have Gingerbread alphas that are reasonably functional), then I would suggest testing userland development independently of kernel development. Change too much at once and you won't know what you broke.

Kernel optimizations - really, in most cases the kernel doesn't make THAT much of a difference in terms of performance in most scenarios. When it does, it is usually due to changes to VM architecture, CPU scheduler, etc - independent of optimization flags used for the kernel. Stick with safe optimization flags until everything else is more solid.

Git repo handling - You might want to look at how the xdandroid team does it at http://xdandroid.com/wiki/Main_Page - They use a custom manifest file for repo, that pulls MOST of the tree straight from AOSP, and only pulls the trees that were changed with device-specific code from the xdandroid git repos. For more details on how he set up xdandroid's GIT repos you might want to try to catch stinebd on #xdandroid on Freenode IRC. (Note to give you fair warning - he idles AFK a lot, so if you don't get an answer from him, he's probably AFK.)

Last edited:

megoelmasry

Feb 13, 2011
@megoelmasry
Do you have backup?...
If you have do this.
You need to format with clockworkmod recovery : data partition,system partition,boot partition,cache partition.
This can be done in Recovery>Mounts and Storage Menu>format data>format system>format boot>format cache.
If is not working then try with an original rom.

Thankes alot i did it and works great now i have to try the new rom :cool:

megoelmasry

Feb 13, 2011
after trying
really i like it so much just need some more work for camera and other wirless conection
the most important for me was arabic and i found it
so i am waiting for the final work in this rom
thanks

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
Seems not to work for me unfortunately. Just seems to hang on ANDROID_. Can't see the device show up via adb but will let the device sit and see if it will eventually boot.

~Ivy

lemmyslender

Jan 10, 2011
BB S104

Booted to recovery, format boot and system, applied update.zip. Booted right up. As mentioned, sound is a little funky, no sd card mounted.

Restored my backup no problem.

Looking forward to more testing.

dublea

Feb 22, 2011
S7 104 BB report:
- no sdcard
- no sdcard2
- no radio (phone,wireless, Bluetooth, )
- no cameras
- sound (work but is distorted )

For people that want to try this you need to format boot,data,system partition (have a clean install ). It will start after a few attempts.

Same here but have also noticed an issue with the lockout screen resolution. This is exciting though!

Anything we can do to get info that might help you guys on your work just let us know. I try to keep my eyes on the forums often =P

EDIT:

Also found that the system was sluggish with some menu options. Just thought I'd mention it.

Last edited:

ivyvisors

Dec 29, 2010
formatted all of the partitions and trying again just to make sure =)

This time I've got to the cyanogen boot screen!

woot!

~Ivy