Gingerbread to my Ideos S7 development

eliotpoon

Mar 29, 2011
Tried the new rom. It can boot to the system with nice speed. however, the 3G, wifi and sd card is not work. my machine is s7 105

rictec

Jan 30, 2011
as now i think we are trying different ways to get to the same goal

i m going to the way liquid chocolate did it or at least trying to
put all the Ril part inside a chroot somewhere and check if it that works with our available kernel...something is still eluding me on that part i have wifi sometimes only and baseband refuses to cooperate.

i need someone to post a standard kernel "dmesg" to pastebin.com so i can check what the heck don't load and run.

Balcora is doing new kernel and i hope for his success cos a newer kernel will be a lot faster/better etc etc

thank you all for the help we will do this or brick trying ...lol

Last edited:

Balcora

Feb 6, 2011
I'm very close to a working kernel now, there is still a bug in the aurora code with respect to dma and msm_sdcc.ko, so sd/mmc module is broken, i need to fix this before it will be hugely useful.
I also have started git repo for firmware dumps of the respective devices.
If anyone has androidsdk installed, and is running a different device to what is already in teh git repo, please dump your /bin /lib /etc.
This will help myself and Rictec with our work.

I will start a new thread for dumps.
and add them to the repo myself,
or if anyone wants to join me and rictec on our efforts.
Userland = see rictec
kernel = see me.

We can add you to repos etc.
I'm not sure if rictec has set himself up a repo for his work yet though.

Ciao

http://github.com/balcora/huawei-s7-misc-dumps

kensikora

Apr 7, 2011
The timing on this all couldn't have been better. I found out a week ago that I had won an Ideos S7 through my employer (Best Buy), and it just arrived today. As soon as I learned it was coming, I started looking at this thread, originally hoping for Honeycomb (if the Nook Color can get it, it seemed like an actual Android tablet would be able to get it pretty quickly, too). A week ago, there were maybe three or four pages on this thread, and seeing the progress on a daily basis has been awesome.

I'm currently running Ivyvisors' custom Singapore ROM 1.0. I'm very much looking forward to running Gingerbread on my S7.

I'm no developer (not by a longshot), but if there's anything I can do to help the process along, let me know. I'll just probably need more detailed instructions.

Great work, though. This is awesome.

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
You guys probably know already, but customizable softkey support just dropped into CM7. Yay?

Someone I follow on who built it and said the forced full-screen screws up the calibration sequence touchscreens.

dethanjl

Mar 15, 2011
The timing on this all couldn't have been better. I found out a week ago that I had won an Ideos S7 through my employer (Best Buy), and it just arrived today. As soon as I learned it was coming, I started looking at this thread, originally hoping for Honeycomb (if the Nook Color can get it, it seemed like an actual Android tablet would be able to get it pretty quickly, too). A week ago, there were maybe three or four pages on this thread, and seeing the progress on a daily basis has been awesome.

I'm currently running Ivyvisors' custom Singapore ROM 1.0. I'm very much looking forward to running Gingerbread on my S7.

I'm no developer (not by a longshot), but if there's anything I can do to help the process along, let me know. I'll just probably need more detailed instructions.

Great work, though. This is awesome.

If you work for bestbuy tell them they need to raise heck with huawei to get the 2.2 update out already! Alot of folks are getting p.o.'d about this and it could affect their sales if manufacturers don't back their products!

kensikora

Apr 7, 2011
If you work for bestbuy tell them they need to raise heck with huawei to get the 2.2 update out already! Alot of folks are getting p.o.'d about this and it could affect their sales if manufacturers don't back their products!

Man, it'd be awesome if things worked that way.

If it's any consolation, word is the update exists, but isn't online yet. Those with Huawei service centers nearby (this would be in Asia) can walk in and have a tech update their tablet. I can't imagine it'll be long now.

If it was easier to insert links on this tablet, I would show you the thread in this forum.

Bright side is, it will eventually get Froyo and didn't cost $500.

tuffigirl

Dec 17, 2010

This one product is certainly not going to affect BB sales in any way. And if I had an employee who came in and told me "what needed to be done" they'd better be prepared to lose their job.

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
I for one have learned to listen to all employees input. I work for a GLOBAL company and they have learned to listen to the input form the employees in the trenches because alot of times they have a view that "management has failed to see"

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
This one product certainly won't have a big impact on BestBuys bottom line, but lack of faith in the products BestBuy chooses to sell could certainly affect future purchasing decisions of their customers. I would imagine that a relatively small percentage of people buy a large percentage of tech products. It's possible that just a few knowledgeable employees, who have the ear of effective management, could have some influence. It really couldn't hurt to try, and it is always in a companies best interest to at least appear to be looking after the interest of their customers.

It just occurred to me that this probably isn't the right forum for this discussion, and I apologize. However it is an interesting topic.

Last edited:

rictec

Jan 30, 2011
a sudden fever of unknown origin blocked my weekend tests/work on this unfortunately
one think i did found out is that rild socket is not there so anyone please post /dev/socket/rild and /dev/socket/rild-debug if you have those
files.
i m not well yet fever cames and goes but will do my best ;)

cdkelly5

Feb 8, 2011
Hey Rictec,
I agree with Ivy, put the toys down and get some rest. I was recovering from Strep over the weekend myself. I still dont feel 100%, but am going back to work as safety departments are always needed. Doc said I would be past the contagious stage by then. That big seems to be going around. Hope you feel better soon.

Brigop