Gmail 5.0 Update Not Working

officerripley

Nov 8, 2014
Samsung Gal. Tab 10.1 (the old, first 10.1 they came out with; hope it's ok posting here, couldn't find a forum for the old ones *anywhere* on this site), Andr. v. 4.0.4: Gmail updated itself few days ago to 5.0 but not working right: upon opening msgs., the body of msg. appears for just a sec. & then disappears, header of msg. is still there but not body. Clicking on "Reply" will bring up body of msg. But not wanting to have to do that with every msg., I set Gmail back to the factory v. which is working ok. This happening to any1 else? I saw some1 else with the same prob on Google forum so I contacted Google about it but no response.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

Have you tried clearing the G-Mail cache (under settings - app manager - all)? Then force stop, restart the tablet then try installing/updating again.

officerripley

Nov 8, 2014
Forgot to mention, I've thought about starting the Tab in Safe Mode--little less drastic than resetting the whole Tab back to fac. settings, had to do that once, what a pain--figured it might clear up this gmail & some other probs and I've researched the heck out of how to start Tab in Safe Mode & tried about 10 diff ways and nothing, nothing, *nothing* works; the Tab will not start in Safe Mode. So I guess it's becuz it's such an old model & maybe that's also why I'm having probs with gmail 5.0.

MariaKay

Nov 14, 2014
I have a Galaxy Tab2 (about 3 years old) and have the same problem. I reverted back to the app with no updates installed and it works fine.

officerripley

Nov 8, 2014
Yeah, MariaKay, that's what I finally ended up doing to (been meaning to post here, just hadn't gotten to it yet). Just gotta make sure you go into Google Play Store & then My Apps & make sure you've got autoupdate UNselected for Gmail. Then uninstalling 5.0 will take you bk to the factory version. (If you'd like a newer version than whatever your factory v. is, go to androiddrawer.com; they have a lot of older versions of Gmail; I chose 4.9 since my fac-installed v. seemed old & clunky; just have to go into your device's Settings, Personal, Security, & make sure Allow Installation of Unknown Sources is checked--language & where it is may differ for your device--then don't forget to uncheck that aft. the installation is finished, it's supposed to keep your device safer.)

MariaKay

Nov 14, 2014
I've also found out Google is aware of this problem but they seem to be think it's limited to a few tablet models. I've found consumers with tablets from Acer, Toshiba, Nook, and Samsung who are all having this issue. Doesn't sound too limited to me.

officerripley

Nov 8, 2014
IKR? Guess Google's been too busy with that stuff in the news about them not being transparent anymore or whatever. Well, maybe Gmail 5.1 will be better. Now if I could just figure out how to start my Tab in Safe Mode...it's always somethin...