Going from ICS to Gingerbread

lomon

May 18, 2012
I have a start-up company that developed an app for Gingerbread, but all of the tablets we want to buy run ICS. Anyone have a solution for rooting our tablets to 2.3 from 4.0?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
There may be one out there but prior to ICS it was Honeycomb. Gingerbread was mostly on phones. Maybe someone has an idea but I have doubts.

Frederuco

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jul 6, 2011
Welcome to the forum!

You will definitely have to look at tablets that started with Gingerbread and have been upgraded. A lot of the more popular tablets (Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, ASUS Transformers, Motorola Xoom) have only ever run Honeycomb, so finding a GB ROM will be difficult. Some tablets are still on GB, but they are less well known brands.

Would it be possible to re-write your app for ICS?

Adelamarc

May 16, 2011
Didn't the original 7 inch galaxy tab offered by sprint and as wifi only have gingerbread on it? I just did a quick search of amazon and it looks like it originally had froyo and was maybe upgraded to gingerbread. It may be an option for you.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
Adelamarc said:
Didn't the original 7 inch galaxy tab offered by sprint and as wifi only have gingerbread on it? I just did a quick search of amazon and it looks like it originally had froyo and was maybe upgraded to gingerbread. It may be an option for you.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk 2

No official gingerbread, but I saw on xda that the upgrade had been accomplished. I didn't try it out as I had just sold my wifi galaxy tab.

lomon

May 18, 2012
Problem I have with ICS is that that the bar on the bottom kills the real estate on our app. We have not been able to find a solution for getting rid of the bar on the bottom of ICS. We originally used EPADS as our main pads that is why we wrote the app for gingerbread. If anyone has a solution for getting rid of the bar on the bottom of ICS I would love to hear it

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Problem I have with ICS is that that the bar on the bottom kills the real estate on our app. We have not been able to find a solution for getting rid of the bar on the bottom of ICS. We originally used EPADS as our main pads that is why we wrote the app for gingerbread. If anyone has a solution for getting rid of the bar on the bottom of ICS I would love to hear it

This might help http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/vizio-tablets/38987-guide-hide-show-buttons-bar.html.

lomon

May 18, 2012
Tried that out, doesn't seem to be the right solution for ICS. Love to hear any other ideas anyone else might have