Good App Gone Bad

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Somehow, 1 of my kids installed an older version of the Android Market.

It will not install. When I go to the My Apps in the market via the tablet, it just hangs out at the bottom under the NOT INSTALLED header.

How do I get rid of it? I tried by logging into the market and from the A500. Since it's not installed, I can't uninstall.

Thanks.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I would try uninstalling updates in preferences, basically roll it back to the originally installed version and you shouldn't have any troubles.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
This is what shows up when I open the market. There are no updates to uninstall. IT hasn't replaced the Market that came with the tablet. Will this go away on it's own or am I stuck with it forever.
$2011-10-04_06-30-01_275.jpg

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You need to roll back the app in settings on your tablet, you can then connect to the Market. This is something you do locally on your tablet.

Sent from my VM670 using Android Tablet Forum

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
@ Tom T - preferences are where?

@ Icebike - if you meant Settings/ Application/ Manage/ All/ Market/ Uninstall Updates - not an option. I get Force Stop, Clear Data & Clear Cache

It's in limbo, I think it's an older version of the Market.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
It sounds like what has happened is that it already has updatez uninstalled, and you are working with the
Original version. What does the version number say in settings applications?

Did you cler cache, and erase data?
Are you sure that someone Didn't install a new gmail account on the tablet?
If there are more than one gmail account the market app will some time switch accounts for no reason.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
You could try and side load an updated market app. I have an apk around here somewhere.

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Android Tablet Forum

Last edited:

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
The version in limbo is: 1.0.16
The version on the tablet is: 1.0.28

It seems like it tried to install an older version and that got placed in a holding pattern. I cleared the data and the cache to no avail.
Side load = not from market?
How will this help?
Can I do that directly on the tablet or do I need to put it on an sd/usb?
This will be annoying, but after Downloads, where should I move the app too? It just makes sense to me that all the apps be in one place. Should I put it in /system/apps or somewhere else?

The Market does not seem to bounce inbetween the 3 gmail accounts I have on the tablet. It's always set to scubaboyc. My Droid X2 on the other hand, has been doing it alot. My wife's Droid too. It's very irritating.

Thanks for the help.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Read that thead, and maybe send HD87 a private message asking how it's supposed to be installed.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
Read that thead, and maybe send HD87 a private message asking how it's supposed to be installed.

I've read that thread several times. I'm just really curious how having a third version will help. Will it wipe the old one out of limbo? I'm not trying to be a smartass. I think I can handle getting it on the tablet. I just really want to know why it's happening and how to fix it in the future.

Tom T

Feb 18, 2011
I've installed Market this way and it doesn't really matter where the apk is as you can delete it after install. It would seem the next thing to try, and it will install in data/apps.
It will replace any market apps in data/apps, but I believe the original will still reside in system/apps
Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Tablet Forum

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
For giggles, I contacted Android Market support. They said to clear the data & cache of both the Market & the Download Manager. The bad app would go away in a few days after the tablet Market self updates.
Does that sound logical? I'm assuming I can't use the Market during that time.
Thanx

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
Does that sound logical? I'm assuming I can't use the Market during that time.
Thanx

Look, we've made several suggestions here, pointed you to a method of installing a new market, and google itself has told you yet
another method.

I'm at a loss to figure out just what more you want from us. Pick one of the suggestions and go with it.
Your market doesn't work NOW, so how could any of these suggestions make it WORSE?

Just do it. You have nothing to lose at this point.