good app-killer?....

RoyR

Jan 1, 2012
I have a MID7127, unrooted....

What's your recommendation for an app that can prohibit certain apps from starting, running, or restarting after I've killed them? It seems Email, Alkido book reader, Getjar, and several others will restart and run again after I've stopped them. I hate that.

I saw several apps on Getjar that might work and seem to have been downloaded alot: Advanced Task Manager and Mobo Task Killer were two that looked like they had potential. Do they work? Are they stable, etc?

Others you like...on Getjar or anywhere?

thanks!
Roy

Last edited:

Kairnage

Sep 25, 2011
One thing to do is look for multi taskers like Android Assistant, ES Taskmanager, or Optimize Toolbox. Each can do task management, along with power optimization, file management, cache cleaning etc.... Optimize Toolbox you want to look for version 2.0.8. 2.0.9 the task manager doesn;t seem to work as well and anything higher is in chinese only.

RoyR

Jan 1, 2012
Perhaps I should answer try to my own question. I read numerous articles last night about the Android OS, and it appears that task killers are not necessary unless you have poorly-coded apps that "run away" with excessive memory. This forces Android to constantly close other apps, which then need to restart. It is THIS endless cycle which uses up the battery.

The articles also noted that properly-coded apps, sitting in the background doing nothing, don't take up any excess power and don't need to be killed. In fact killing an app or a process causes unnecessary power to be consumed when the user needs the app again and reloads it, rather than just recovers it from the background.

I've observed that I have a significant amount of unused RAM (the MID7127 has 512kB total RAM) while the four or five apps that like to run on their own are in the background. So maybe keeping them killed is a waste of time, and no automated task-killer is necessary.

comment?

Roy

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
a task killer isn't needed android will close apps as needed, if you have an app always closing other apps you will use more cpu, results would be more use of battery, task killers ran on a manual bases would be more effective, than automatic. For the most part I don't bother with them. I use fast reboot app from time to time, I doubt it does anything really helpful as far as battery conservation.

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
Exactly why I said, "If you feel you need one." The only reason I have one installed is in case I run into one of those "poorly-coded apps that "run away" with excessive memory". I've never actually had to use it.:cool: