Good movie app. VLC???

steveburford

Sep 5, 2011
I am able to watch some of my downloaded movies on my iconia a500. Some however will not play. Some with video only. Any idea for an app to load? I use VLC media player on my PC and have no issues with the movies. For some reason the tablet is selective. Thanks in advance.

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
you may try qq player, it can play more video formats, .flv included, but i'm not sure all the videos can be played fine by it

elsuirad

Jul 28, 2011
The only type of video file to be able to watch movies are .3GP and MPEG-4 format.

.3GP is the output video from the A500 Tablet camera when you take some videos, but if you will convert movies using Xilisoft into .3GP format, the output quality is awful and you will not appreciate it so I recommend to convert it in MPEG-4 format, sound and video image is good quality results

PavtubeVideo

Aug 18, 2011
actually, most movie apps only play limited formats, many container or HD formats can't be played well. the ultimate solution is converting these videos. if you have decided to buy a video tool, foxreal video converter is recommended.

It could convert video formats like TiVo, MXF, MKV, MTS, M2TS, TS, MOD, TOD, FLV, F4V, AVI, WMA, QuickTime MOV, VOB, MP4, MPG, MPEG, SWF, ASF, MVI, VP6, EVO, VRO, DV, MP3, AC3, MKA, WMA, WAV, M4A, OGG, APE and more. It also helps you edit video with cropping, trimming, adding watermarks/effects, removing interlaces, replacing audio file, etc. Or, you can directly convert video clips for Adobe Premiere, After Effects, Sony Vegas, Cyberlink Power Director, Avid, Windows Movie Maker, Magix Movie Edit Pro and other editing software.

this tool is special designed based on Nvidia CUDA technology, if you use Nvidia video card, the conversion speed will much faster than common conversion.

You may have a try!

mukguk

Sep 28, 2011
I use Freemake Video Converter on my desktop. It has the means to convert to Android, but I haven't tried it for that (I'm beginning to look for my first tablet). Has worked great for my for other formats though. I also use Freemake video downloader,

Androidicus

Sep 4, 2011
The main reasons some movies will not play is because...

-The container used e.g. MKV, MP4, AVI, etc.

-The h.264 profile used to encode the movie

-The bit rate

-The number of reference frames used.

MKV (Matroska) is a non-industry standard container used mostly by Pirates because of its versatility and being able to handle multiple video, audio and subtitle streams.

Many of the high-end tablets like the Acer can't decode h.264 High [email protected], or above. So, you have to re-encode to [email protected] and below.

Bit rate also plays a major factor because various tests done on numerous hardware review sites indicate the Tegera 2 chip starts to choke at anything above 4.5 mbps. This is ironic because the cheap single core, Chinese knock-off tablets can play 1080p, High [email protected] video at 20+ mbps depending on applications used (Meridian, Mobo Player). This includes full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and not AAC two channel stereo as well.

Reference frames come into play because professionally (legally) encoded HD video will normally have no more than 3, or 4 reference frames. Many pirated copies have reference frames starting at five, and increasing from there. This is out of spec and is another reason why certain hardware like the Tegera 2 can't process it properly and refuses to play, or stutters badly when playing.

criver

Oct 20, 2011
The main reasons some movies will not play is because...

-The container used e.g. MKV, MP4, AVI, etc.

-The h.264 profile used to encode the movie

-The bit rate

-The number of reference frames used.

MKV (Matroska) is a non-industry standard container used mostly by Pirates because of its versatility and being able to handle multiple video, audio and subtitle streams.

Many of the high-end tablets like the Acer can't decode h.264 High [email protected], or above. So, you have to re-encode to [email protected] and below.

Bit rate also plays a major factor because various tests done on numerous hardware review sites indicate the Tegera 2 chip starts to choke at anything above 4.5 mbps. This is ironic because the cheap single core, Chinese knock-off tablets can play 1080p, High [email protected] video at 20+ mbps depending on applications used (Meridian, Mobo Player). This includes full Dolby Digital 5.1 sound and not AAC two channel stereo as well.

Reference frames come into play because professionally (legally) encoded HD video will normally have no more than 3, or 4 reference frames. Many pirated copies have reference frames starting at five, and increasing from there. This is out of spec and is another reason why certain hardware like the Tegera 2 can't process it properly and refuses to play, or stutters badly when playing.

Hi!
I'm just looking for a tablet that can play 1080p h.264 ( and pretty much all the formats that I watch on my pc, but I don't want to convert them), so you know some tablets that are really good when it comes to video playback?
By the way, all tablets should be able to play whatever format if they have the right soft installed and have a fast enough cpu and big enough ram, right?

DarrylB

Aug 31, 2011
I have to agree with FoxrealVideo, probably the best solution would be to have a good software program that can convert various different file formats. Even the best video players can only support a limited few formats since there are so many different video extension types out these days. I use VLC and find it to be the best player, I've used it for years, but for what you're describing you would likely benefit the most not in looking for the best player but instead the best video converter.