Google apps (Chrome, Maps, Reader)

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
Chrome is Google's browser for PCs, Android is Google OS for phones and tablets. The browser is part of the Android package. They are two different operating systems for two different types of hardware. I use Chrome on both of my PCs as well. And I have a Droid and an Acer A500 tablet. They do compliment each other with the associated apps. You can run other browsers on the Android but I can't see why Google would offer a browser to replace their browser they already had built in. I thought to my self a few times why they don't replace the Android browser with something called Chrome in order to gain more advertising for the Chrome for PCs. Good question though. Just that Google hasn't come out with it yet, and likely not.

Last edited:

dodgefan67

Nov 9, 2011
Chrome is Google's browser for PCs, Android is Google OS for phones and tablets. The browser is part of the Android package. They are two different operating systems for two different types of hardware. I use Chrome on both of my PCs as well. And I have a Droid and an Acer A500 tablet. They do compliment each other with the associated apps. You can run other browsers on the Android but I can't see why Google would offer a browser to replace their browser they already had built in. I thought to my self a few times why they don't replace the Android browser with something called Chrome in order to gain more advertising for the Chrome for PCs. Good question though. Just that Google hasn't come out with it yet, and likely not.

got it, so if the tablet maker does not put another browser on there (opera, dolphin, etc) the default one is chrome (or chromium even?) and is built into android, makes sense. does it work like the chrome browser i use on my PC? tabs? web store?

jgumphress

Sep 6, 2011
It's not really called Chrome by the Android developers, it's just their browser. It is not really labeled as far as I have seen. And it doesn't act totally like the PC version but there are the same tabs and such. Really works very clean and totally syncs with your Google account and Chrome. I'm happy with it.