Google apps vs Slideme, Amazon Apps and Appslib

mrbean1957

Mar 28, 2011
OK,

Am I really missing much since my rooting didn't work and I can't get google when I have the 3 other mentioned in the title? Already I have gotten several nice apps for free, I can't see how Google would have much different, if so then set me straight...

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Seems Market is becoming less necessary as more players enter the scene. The only advantage right now is I believe Market offers more free apps. Something tells me though there will be fewer totally free apps as they get popular and the trash is weeded out. An app for 99 cents is not robbery if it is good. Go Android!

Curious as to why your rooting effort failed.

mrbean1957

Mar 28, 2011
got everything done until I came to the clockworkmod, wouldn't see the recovery image... I said screw it.

popeye1128

Feb 14, 2011
Don't want to highjack the thread. PM me if it was flash_image command that failed. Unless you really don't care.

mrbean1957

Mar 28, 2011
I like that Amazon gives away a free app per day, and over the last few weeks they have given away three that I was considering paying for. Nice apps! I really like the chat one I picked up this week.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
Looks to me like Amazon modifies the apps so they will not run unless you have the Amazon app on your tablet. Case in point AngryBirdsRIO. At first it was Amazon only. That apk would not run on a restore (Clockworkmod) that did not have the Amazon app. But now RIO is on Market. The RIO from Market is a different size and will run even if the restore does not have Market installed. Same with DinerDash2 - won't work without Amazon app check in.

I've seen AppsLib using older versions and it has some true crap like Firefox that is not Mozilla-Firefox - even a deceptive icon.

But we should mention AppBrian which is like a filter for Market. It has nicer reviews and home pages and better search. And some links can take you to the source, bypassing Market completely - for example
AndExplorer - Android app on AppBrain
which links you to
Android free file manager, explorer - AndExplorer
where you can download the latest AndExplorer yourself.

I'm with popeye1128 - the tablet ships with ADB root access. The only issue is getting clockworkmod which I consider very important - for backups and multiple boot options. Market is less important.

mrbean1957 - tell us which thread about rooting etc you want to use or are using and we'll try to help you get clockworkmod installed.

Sketch_Says

Feb 6, 2011
OK,

Am I really missing much since my rooting didn't work and I can't get google when I have the 3 other mentioned in the title? Already I have gotten several nice apps for free, I can't see how Google would have much different, if so then set me straight...

I personally think that the game has changed since Amazon's market came out. When this tablet first came out, our option was Appslib and it was garbage but since then, I can see where Google's market place may seem less of a necessity. For me, I don't think anything replaces the original. I also used to use Applanet's market until I realized it was pirating so I stopped. Like many other aspects of the Coby, it all comes down to your personal preference.

Sketch J. O'Brien
Jacksonville, FL

mrbean1957

Mar 28, 2011
Looks to me like Amazon modifies the apps so they will not run unless you have the Amazon app on your tablet. Case in point AngryBirdsRIO. At first it was Amazon only. That apk would not run on a restore (Clockworkmod) that did not have the Amazon app. But now RIO is on Market. The RIO from Market is a different size and will run even if the restore does not have Market installed. Same with DinerDash2 - won't work without Amazon app check in.

I've seen AppsLib using older versions and it has some true crap like Firefox that is not Mozilla-Firefox - even a deceptive icon.

But we should mention AppBrian which is like a filter for Market. It has nicer reviews and home pages and better search. And some links can take you to the source, bypassing Market completely - for example
AndExplorer - Android app on AppBrain
which links you to
Android free file manager, explorer - AndExplorer
where you can download the latest AndExplorer yourself.

I'm with popeye1128 - the tablet ships with ADB root access. The only issue is getting clockworkmod which I consider very important - for backups and multiple boot options. Market is less important.

mrbean1957 - tell us which thread about rooting etc you want to use or are using and we'll try to help you get clockworkmod installed.

I used the youtube instructions where the guy did it without his PC connection. Everything installed gine until the last step the recovery image part.

Ridgeland

Dec 14, 2010
mrbean1957,
So when you tried reboot - you did not get to the clockworkmod menu (green text) instead you boot back into the normal tablet system with the floating leaves and ripples background?

The video can be found here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...ing-android-market-clockworkmod-recovery.html
but you cannot post in that thread for help! OK lets take the discussion here:
http://www.androidtablets.net/forum...-using-update-7015a-step-step-process-20.html
I just left you a message there with some "try this". It's post #195