Google Books

romhad

Jun 28, 2011
The A500 is preloaded with Google Books, which is nice because they have a great selection of free books--I read a lot of old books in English, so that works well. Now, I know these books are just page scans, so you can't treat them as text. But it would still be nice to be able to annotate them--mark them with a stylus, post sticky notes, etc. Google Books doesn't let you do that, from what I can tell. Is there software that (1) lets you do that, and (2) can be used to access Google Books? (I'm not even sure where the books I've downloaded are on my drive--I have a bunch of them saved for offline reading, but haven't been able to locate the files.)

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
They are not just page scans. Tap the menu button and select flowing text.

You might like nook for Android, but if you are one of those people who have to mark up a book in order to read it you are never going to be happy with any ebook reader.

romhad

Jun 28, 2011
Well, I'm "one of those people" because I am an academic, and I need to underline key points in texts I'm reading to use in papers, etc. But anyway, thanks: text reflow works beautifully.

There are actually plenty of readers that allow some annotation or copying passages: Moon+, Montano, and a few pdf readers. But I can't figure out how to read Google books in anything other than Google books.

Jul 30, 2011
Google Books was did not appear pre-installed on my tab and I just got it yesterday!

Edit: Apparently, Google Books is not available in a download mode in my country. If I want to access Google Books, I have to be online, which is a real pain (sometimes).

Last edited:

DroidDoes

Jul 30, 2011
^Came preloaded on mine, might be because of your location.

OP: what file type are the books you've saved, saved as. iI downloaded a book a few days ago that was a pdf file and was only named ".pdf" but it would not show up until i renamed it. Dont know if that'll help you but it fixed my problem.