Google Calendar Icon Keeps Dropping Off the Screen

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
Hi

anyone else have this? I mean its really annoying, and really regular.

drives me nuts

AMID-972XS model btw

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
When you say dropping off the screen, do you mean it completely disappears, or extends off the edge?

I do find you have to set up the icons in landscape and check portrait as portrait can mess with them. Some will appear in portrait but not landscape and I have to move them back over. Once done, the positions stick. I don't position them for portrait at all and then it just works whichever way I rotate my tablet.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
When you say dropping off the screen, do you mean it completely disappears

I do ...

I do find you have to set up the icons in landscape and check portrait as portrait can mess with them. Some will appear in portrait but not landscape and I have to move them back over. Once done, the positions stick. I don't position them for portrait at all and then it just works whichever way I rotate my tablet.

drops off no matter what ... AND editing this was just crap on my tablet, after 15 min of having no chance of either editing or typing I gave up and just used my PC

utterly useless as anything more than a 4 word entry toy. Completely unsuited to actually working with it.

Robbo

Sep 8, 2012
I don't know what may be going on with your calendar, but you might benefit from a different keyboard app. I tried a few and settled on TouchPal. Once you customise it to taste, it works well.

If you need to type fast though, you cannot beat a real full size qwerty keyboard and a mouse :)

I would never try to rely on a tablet to work from. I consider the tablet a lightweight and mobile convenience that doesn't give me eye strain like a phone. It's a simple web device that can have extended fuction if needed, albeit at a compromise. I would never spend $500 on one. The 972 was as much as I was willing to pay for an extra convenience.

senus

Sep 22, 2012
When you say calendar icon, do you mean widget?

Maybe you could try a different widget, I use simple calendar from play store on my tablet and phone without any problems.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
When you say calendar icon, do you mean widget?

Maybe you could try a different widget, I use simple calendar from play store on my tablet and phone without any problems.

Yes, I mean widget (fancy name for an icon if you ask me) unless you mean the widget which shows today's appointments? Well the answer is both disappear.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
rather than simply say it hasn't happened but I don't use thst icon, i wonder if someone would be kind enough to actually drop the calendar icon onto their screen (its a pre installed app) and see if it falls off after afew startup cycles?

would be appreciated

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
UPDATE
The calendar drops off when cycling the wlan on and off via the screen control widget

Be interested to see if others replicate this issue

senus

Sep 22, 2012
pellicle said:
UPDATE
The calendar drops off when cycling the wlan on and off via the screen control widget

Be interested to see if others replicate this issue

Confirmed, when I toggled wifi using the power control widget the calendar disappeared but it's outline remained. There is a problem with one or both of those widgets and it should be reported to tempo because it's something they can fix in the next update.

In the meantime there are plenty of widgets available at the play store. I can recommend simple calendar, works well on my phone and tablet and I just checked it doesn't disappear when toggling wifi.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
thing is that i use google calendar for work and hoped to make use of the tablet at work too

thanks

senus

Sep 22, 2012
Those other widgets like simple calendar still use Google calendar, they are just a different means of displaying calendar data on your home screen.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
perhaps i dont understand, but the green calendar icon is about as simple as it gets. are we talking something else? something from the app store called "simple calendar"?

senus

Sep 22, 2012
Ok there is some misunderstanding here. When you say icon you mean app shortcut, I thought you meant the calendar widget.

I placed the calendar shortcut (green and white icon in app draw) on the home screen and yes it disappears when you toggle wifi from power widget, it also disappears when you toggle wifi through the main settings screen. So there seems to be a problem with both the calendar shortcut and widget when toggling wifi.

The simple calendar widget is was talking about before goes on your home screen and accesses data from your Google calendar and displays it.It also acts as a shortcut, when you tap it opens the Google calendar app so you can add or edit calendar entries.

pellicle

Oct 23, 2012
I tested this today with another tablet (Nexus 7) running Jellybean. Does not display the issue. However its running a later version of calendar too.

Naturally I tried to upgrade my calendar and when I downloaded it and attempted to install it I get a message saying that the (pre installed one) is not properly signed and so can not be upgraded.

sigh ...

senus

Sep 22, 2012
If you root your tablet you can uninstall system apps like calendar and then you should be able to install the new version