Google Drive Officially Released by Google

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
Google-drive-announced.png

It turns out that our teaser article from this morning was accurate. Google Drive was officially released today. You can pick up the app over at the Google Play Store and start uploading your important data to store in Google's "cloud." Here's a quote from the Google Play Store with a description:
Keep everything. Share anything.

*** Google Docs is now a part of Google Drive! ***
* Keep everything. Share anything.
* With Google Drive, you can store all your files in one place, so you can access them from anywhere and share them with others
* Use the Google Drive Android app to access your photos, documents, videos and other files stored on your Google Drive
* Upload files to Google Drive directly from your Android device
* Share any file with your contacts
* Access files others have shared with you on Google Drive
* Make any file available offline so you can access them even when you don't have an Internet connection
* Create and edit Google documents with rich text formatting
* Edits to your Google documents appear to collaborators in seconds
* Make quick changes to spreadsheets
* View your PDFs, presentations and more
* Upload and convert files to the Google Docs format
* Take a photo of printed text and convert it to a Google document
* Optimized experience to take advantage of larger screens for tablet users, Honeycomb (Android 3.0+)

The app is free and the initial 5GB of storage is also free. Here is the pricing structure for the higher levels of storage with Google Drive:
You can choose to upgrade to 25GB for $2.49/month, 100GB for $4.99/month or even 1TB for $49.99/month. When you upgrade to a paid account, your Gmail account storage will also expand to 25GB.

Here's the Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.docs.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
I think I like the teaser logo better. Other than that, very cool. It looks like everybody has cloud storage now. It will be interesting to see how the competition in this space evolves with Google, Microsoft and Apple throwing their considerable wight against Dropbox, Box and others.

joe935

Jan 18, 2012
I have been waiting for over 2 hours and i have not received an email that my drive is ready. Anyone else having this delay?