Google I/O 2015 Keynote New Technology Round-Up

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Jan 5, 2011
google-vr-gopro-jump.jpg

The image above is the new Google & GoPro Array camera for creating VR content.

Google I/O 2015 just held its first day Keynote earlier today. Even though we shared a couple of the releases which kicked off from the event, we thought it would be worthwhile to give you a one stop shop to check out most of the main highlights from the event.

The following is a round-up of the biggest new innovations revealed at Google I/O 2015's KeyNote:
  • Expeditions - new virtual reality tool - much cheaper (yet still effective) cardboard version of VR than the competition from Oculus Rift and Microsoft's HoloLens - this is basically the evolution of the cardboard concept they shared previously.
  • Google Photos - a brand new app to help users manage their digital images - smart enough to automatically organize your photos - offers easier control of photo collections and albums - automatically backs up all your pictures from multiple devices - offers a slew of new and easy to use sharing functions - support for storing unlimited photos (up to 16-megapixel) and videos (up to 1080p) in the cloud - all free to the user.
  • Google Maps improvements - even without an active Internet connection, Google Maps will let you search inside Google Maps - this includes access to reviews and open hours for businesses - turn-by-turn voice navigation will become available offline.
  • "Secret VR Weapon" - Google and GoPro teamed-up to create a special Array camera which can capture 360-degree footage, and records video with 16 cameras to create a more immersive VR experience that can be uploaded to a VR version of YouTube.
What do you guys think? Can Google deliver on these exciting ideas?