Google Location Service Doesn't Work on My Jelly Bean Tablet

vogabi

Oct 26, 2012
I have an Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean) tablet (Alldro 3 Speed Duo from Allview in Romania, Onda V971 the original model).
The problem I found with it is that the Google location service doesn't work.
I activated both options for Google location service in Settings, but the service still doesn't work. Both Google Maps and Google Now are reporting that Google location service is not activated.
Is there any solution ?

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
Welcome to the forum

2 things come to mind reading your post. The location services would either need a good working GPS signal or be able to identify your location using your WiFi IP address which it may be having a problem with. (Or it could be something else entirely).

vogabi

Oct 26, 2012
My tablet doesn't have a GPS, but the location should work based on network location provided by the wi-fi connection.
I have an older tablet with Android 2.3, also without GPS and the location service works fine using wi-fi network.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
You also might need to clear the cache for those apps and see if that resets the locations service.

vogabi

Oct 26, 2012
I cleared the application cache, I also deactivated and reactivated the Google location service from applications, but nothing works. All the applications continue to report that Google location service isn't activated. It's probably a bug in the tablet's firmware, it probably tries to use a GPS signal, and the tablet doesn't have any GPS.
I tried to contact the romanian company who sales the tablet, but they didn't answer. I'm sure they know aboat this bug, but they don't seem to care about it.
I'll try to find a firmware based on Android 4.1.2 for the chinese equivalent (Onda V971), if it will ever appear on the internet, and install this firmware.

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Also try looking for GPS spoofing apps to help out with the lack of a GPS receiver.