google music player

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
but i am playing music from my sd card, not streaming from a service or a cloud.

In that case, you have some other problem, because mine will play for hours from the microsd card.

If you have a google music account, its sometimes difficult to know where any given song comes from.
Set your Google Music player to only show local content and try again.

Desley

Jul 21, 2011
i am having the same problem listening to audio books that have been downloaded from auible.com. when the screen goes to sleep, the book will eventually stop. i can refresh by touchin the power button, but it shuts down quicker . help love my tablet otherwise, bu listening to audible books is one of the primary reasons i bought it- suggestions welcome!

androidnewb

Jun 22, 2011
I just played music using the default Music app and using the Pandora app to see if it stopped when the screen turned off, it did not. I have also set my wireless to never turn off as well.

LeChuck

Jul 25, 2011
I have a similar problem with the google music app.

It's not that the music stops when screen goes off. The song will go till its end, then the next song can take up to 30-40 seconds to start... but if you turn on the device with the power button, it starts inmediately...

This behavior happens with local sdcard music.

ChiTriGuy

Apr 27, 2011
I haven't found the problem listed above, but what I have found is when I tap to play one song it plays a completely different one, most bizarre. When I use the player on my computer using IE, everything works fine, but on my tab it seems to be out of sync or something. The other thing that I thought was interesting was I installed the beta software from the invite on my computer and it is running in my system tray. I checked it a couple of days ago and it said it had uploaded over 11,000 songs. I thought there was a limit of 2000 or 5000 for beta "testers." That's a crap load of space on their servers if they are loading up all of a user's iTunes library.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The limit is 20000 songs.
Google hasn't published (and probably never will) the exact storage method but I suspect they de-duplicate songs. After all there is no point in storing 6 million copies of the exact same tract, when basic operating system level de-duplication can store one file and 6 million pointers to it. Each new upload gets de-duplicated by the file system, and the user is none the wiser. Google engineers are some pretty smart folks, and de-duplicating file systems are mainstream in the Linux world these days.

And for the record, I don't have any problem playing LOCALLY stored music when the screen is off. There is no delay between songs.

I do often get a delay or a total halt when playing songs from the cloud when the screen goes off.

ruffrideralec

Nov 13, 2011
I'm having the same issue. It's not directly connected to the WIFI as people think, but WIFI is a part of it, but not partg of the problem. The problem is that when the screen goes black (turns off) the device goes into a sleep mode and stops processing data. The WIFI issue of this was corrected with the update, that's why every now and again you will hear the notification of emails being received. But the music app part has not been corrected. Before the update the was a place in Settings Menu where you could tell the device to allow something when asleep or stop something when goes to sleep. I've looked for it recently and can't find it.
Music stops playing whether local (stored on the device) or on the MicroSD card. Doesn't matter if you use the native Application, which used to be Nemo, before the update or Google Music. Coicidently, Google Music, when used on the device is not streming media from the web as some people think, but is a music application, playing the music located on your device. Therefore, when the device sleeps so does google music.
I contacted Acer today, via CHAT, concerning this issue and was told after the rep searched and searched that I need to get in touch with Level 2.
My company does alot of business with Acer, so much so that we have an Acer Rep. I'm going to contact him as well, and see if he can expedite resolving this issue.
Acer is resposible for rectifying this problem because one of the items affected is their native music playing app. Any native software having issues is their concern.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
One of the fixes in 3.2.1 is said to be a fix for WIFI dropout.

WIFI normally will cease after you go to sleep mode, unless you set Wifi disconnect policy to Never.

If you haven't scored a free Google Music account, then yes, Google Music simply plays the music on your device.

If you have a google music account then Google Music plays on-device music as well as your music in the cloud,
on any droid device you have, without needing to put your music on the device.

Google music, (with a google music account), while not technically a streamer, does download a song or two in advance, and then play them.

If Wifi goes to sleep while Google Music is playing, it will attempt to wake it up. But it it is not successful
at getting the wifi re-awakened before the music previously downloaded is played, it just stops. This happens
all the time on my Nexus One when I am out walking and enter a dead zone.

Your assertion that the Acer goes into sleep mode and "stops processing data" simply isn't true. You prove its false
in your very next sentence when you talk about receiving email while the tablet is sleeping.

My acer will play all day in sleep mode.

Last edited: