google play music on external sd?

wagnizzle

Nov 13, 2012
Also, i would like a confirmation on the biggest and fastest sd card the A500 can handle. I have heard 32gb class 10 is the best, Y or N?

wagnizzle

Nov 13, 2012
i have continued to reserch this topic. I am finding a lot about "root"ing, and i am not sure what this is or if its safe. I came across it while looking into "directory bind". This tool says that "root" is required.

kwhabq

Apr 27, 2011
Download a file manager app and move or copy the files.

There are several available - try a couple and see which you prefer.

Last edited:

Batchman

May 14, 2011
wagnizzle said:
Also, i would like a confirmation on the biggest and fastest sd card the A500 can handle. I have heard 32gb class 10 is the best, Y or N?

I'm using a 64gb Sandisk micro sd card to store my "on device" music (about 50 GB). While I usually do file transfers from my PC to the A500 over wifi with File Manager HD, I used the USB connection in this case. I'm currently using Poweramp as my music player. Most players will automatically see and scan the external SD card and find the music.

Batchman

May 14, 2011
scubaboyc said:
Did you have to reformat the card or did the A500 read it right out of the box?

I reformatted it. I don't remember for sure, but I think it comes in exFAT format. I used a USB card reader on my PC. If you do that, make sure the card reader can handle the large capacity cards (SDXC) , many older readers don't.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
I have 32GB micro SD - works fine straight out of the packaging. Get a file manager from Google Play.

scubaboyc

Aug 3, 2011
To answer you other question, if you've made your music available offline in GP Music, it should be located here:
sdcard>Android>data>com.google.android.music>files>music. "Music" is where the mp3 will be and "Artwork" is where the album cover will be. I'm not sure if you can move it to the external though.

Your other options are to either move the music directly onto your external by plugging it into your computer via USB or you can use the Clear.Fi app that's on the tablet if you have a home network set up. Either way, GP Music will see the files wherever they are (internal vs. external). You may need to refresh/ power cycle the tablet though.

Douvie

Jun 10, 2011
And to all those concerned please check my new thread for some important info - it could be the difference between having your data and the next moment loosing it all.