Google Play Offers “Free For Print Subscribers” Option

Spider

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 24, 2011
By Andrew Kunesh on January 7th, 2013

Google has just added a new feature to Google Play which allows users who subscribe to print magazines to get a free digital copy. As of now, this functionality is limited to only a fraction of the magazines on the Play store, though we should see more publishers implement the service in the near future.

If you subscribe to a compatible magazine and would like a free digital copy, you don’t have to do too much. First, find the magazine in which you subscribe to on the Google Play store and hit the “subscribe” button. If a “ Free for print subscribers” button appears, you can digitally subscribe to the publication free of charge. Upon clicking this button, you’ll be asked to log into your magazine subscription online. After you do so, you’ll be able to start reading your print magazine digitally for free.

Keep in mind that if you do get a free digital subscription to a magazine, you’ll only be able to view it on your Android phone or tablet. Google has not yet allowed free magazines to be viewed online.

Source: Google via Talk Android

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hmm, I got to the actual Google wallet purchase page but didn't see the box so backed out. However, I did previously have one of the two subscriptions I checked out through B&N previously but cancelled it when they quadrupled the prices. I see that Google Play Store has at least one magazine for the original $0.99 price and I may go ahead and get the electronic copy again along with the hard copy at that price. B&N you may have lost out to a non-book publisher on this one by being greedy (probably just trying to survive though).

Edit: After double checking the B&N prices are now the same as Google's offerings. I would still be inclined to go with Google if they give me the free digital subscription of the hard copies I already am subscribed to though (most likely depends on the publisher).