Google Play on Coby Kyros 7042!

dexterked

Mar 18, 2012
Is someone was able to install Google Play on Coby Kyros MID 7042?
Please send just one tutorial,the tablet is very good but is useless without Google Play.who knows how to install just let me know.Or tell me if there is a way for me download an app from the Google play website without having a device registered?

Last edited:

Kackalakin

Feb 11, 2012
Ok search for any android app market thats 3rd party,search for the apk and a download link. For Google Play search for," Google Play marketplace apk download" YOU SHould see some results use the google search engine. Or click here for a download link http://www.mediafire.com/?49rqc36aiice4b2 btw once download install aplication on tablet.

Crue

Apr 11, 2012
Going to try this link, but I tried installing google play from another link I found in a google search. It installs fine, but closes out once opened. Same thing happened with a flash player link I found. I am guessing I need superuser permissions to do this, so the device will need to be rooted. has anyone had any luck with rooting the 7042 yet? Tried superoneclick but it's a no go.

Crue

Apr 11, 2012
Using the apk in the link above does not work. Installs, but closes when opened. The device needs to be rooted. Still looking for someone who had success with a root on the MID7042

dexterked

Mar 18, 2012
Some one needs to root the MID 7042.The tablet is very good, just need the Google Play Store.Someone is already working on it?

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
it should already be rooted, you do know you can't just install just the market app and get it to work, you need to install google gapps for ics also the market app isn't a stand alone app, it requires google gapps.

Crue

Apr 11, 2012
i have tried just manually installing the apps required for google play. However when I open google play and type in the account information it is unable to connect with google services to login. I will factory reset the device and try again, but I may be missing a step.

Also I am having the same problem with Adobe Flash Player install. Appears to install fine via .apk file, but when you open it just shows the blue puzzle piece. Went to adobe to use their verify flash player install and it says flash player is not installed. Once again I may be missing a step but it seems the actual apps are not fully installing.

Any suggestions?

Crue

Apr 11, 2012
it should already be rooted, you do know you can't just install just the market app and get it to work, you need to install google gapps for ics also the market app isn't a stand alone app, it requires google gapps.

Yes downloaded the ICS gapps package. Tried multiple ways to get into recovery mode. Old Kyros models allowed you by Holding down - Vol key and hitting the power button. Does not work.
Used ADB console - typed adb reboot recovery. Did not work, just rebooted the device.

So with that method not working. Proceeded with installing apps manually.
Installed the apps. With the latest version of the package it did not install framework, one time init, or talk. They all said Application not installed.

Reset the device to factory -- Found an older package. All the apps installed, but when you open Google Play it never connects to the account servers when you try to login. Reset the device to factory.

As you said before, my device should already be rooted. This is not true, I can not see any of the root directories or system folders. Google Play, Framework, and the other apps were not designed to be installed in the regular apps folder and since loading them without root permissions puts them in this location it is using user permissions not superuser(admin) permissions. This prevents it from running the way it should

I am assuming this is also the reason Adobe Flash 11.1 apk is not working as well.

Superoneclick seams to be the closest I can get to rooting, but freezes on step #7. Hopefully we can bring some of the development community in on these devices.

If I am wrong on any of this, please feel free to correct me.

Crue

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
I at work so can only use phone so can't type the commandsyou need to get into recovery.
adb remount
should help the command to get in rcovery is long..

Crue

Apr 11, 2012
Put the commands in and the device reboots but does not go into recovery, fastboot, or bootloader mode. Just like a clean reboot.

subtotal

Sep 29, 2011
Found this on another forum, don't have one of these tablets yet so maybe someone who does wants to give it a try?

HOW TO ROOT YOUR Coby Kyros MID9742 Tablet:

PRINT THESE DIRECTIONS

SuperOneClick can root your tablet. Unfortunately, many people experience problems using SuperOneClick. The Rooting Process Hangs in the middle of the process. If you PREP YOUR COMPUTER before using SuperOneClick the rooting proces should run smoothly.
.................................................. .......................
PREP YOUR COMPUTER: (before you get started rooting)
Before you get started rooting, you must prepare your PC Computer environment with two Google files.
USING YOUR PC:
P1) Download and Install MotorolaHelper Drivers:
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...al_Drivers/MotoHelper_2.1.32_Driver_5.4.0.exe
(Install the MotoHelperDrivers)
P2) Download the Android SDK file from Here: ---http://developer.android.com/sdk/---
Android SDK | Android Developers (do not install yet)
Download and Rename the file (installer_r17-windows.exe) to (Android SDK installer_r17-windows.exe)
Now install the SDK file.
INSTALL THE ANDROID SDK:
The Installer contains SDKs for all versions of android. Since your tablet uses Android 4.0, you should install the SDKs for 4.0 and 4.0.3
Once you install the main SDK file, you will be asked which SDKs you want to install. Select the Android 4.0 and 4.0.3 SDKs (Check the Boxes)
VERY IMPORTANT: Scroll Down to the Bottom and select GOOGLE USB DRIVER (check the box)
Install the SDKs - Takes a few minutes.
YOU ARE NOT DONE YET. The google USB drivers have not been installed yet. INSTALL THE GOOGLE USB DRIVER.
You Are Done, YOU ARE FINISHED PREPING YOUR PC COMPUTER RESTART your computer.
.................................................. .......................
NOW YOU ARE READY TO ROOT YOUR YOUR Coby Kyros MID9742
Basically, you need to Download the file ( SuperOneClick ). SuperOneClick will root your MID9742 using your PC Computer
d1) Download SuperOneClick from the ShortFuse website: From here: : ---shortfuse.org/---
shortfuse.org | Official Home of SuperOneClick! FAVORITE or BOOKMARK THIS PAGE
d2) Scroll Down To The Page LOOK FOR " v2.3.3 Download link "
d3) Download the file ( SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip ) UnZIip the ZIP file on your desktop.

ROOTING:
r1) Unzip the SuperOneClickv2.3.3-ShortFuse.zip file (You don't need to install this file)
r2) TURN ON YOUR TABLET - Go to SETTINGS/APPLICATIONS/ Scroll Down to DEVELOPMENT / CHECK "USB Debugging" (check this box)
r3) CONNECT YOUR TABLET TO THE PC COMPUTER: Use the USB Cord
r4) Open The SuperOneClick folder. Find the File " SuperOneClick.exe" Right Click and Run As Administrator
r5) When the window opens: Just Click "ROOT"

PopUp Window: WOULD YOU LIKE TO INSTALL BUSYBOX: CLICK " YES "

r6) When the Rooting is Done, your Tablet will restart.
r7) To Make sure your tablet is rooted, go the you Apps Drawer on ther Tablet and look for the app: "SuperUser"

YOU ARE ROOTED ROOTED ROOTED !

Once you are rooted, I can show you how to install Google Play. (Latest Version)

Source: Coby Kyros MID9742 - Android Forums

Edit: There's also a decent amount of troubleshooting in the linked thread, I reccommend having a good read before you do this.

Last edited:

Crue

Apr 11, 2012
Found this on another forum, don't have one of these tablets yet so maybe someone who does wants to give it a try?

Source: Coby Kyros MID9742 - Android Forums

Edit: There's also a decent amount of troubleshooting in the linked thread, I reccommend having a good read before you do this.

Yea I found that as well, but it doesn't work even without all the suggestions. I figure Superoneclick just needs an update. For now I am pleased with the device using amazon app store as a work around. I now have all of the apps I need running.

Also for anyone else that has one of these devices. If you try skype on this device, it does not work with the latest version. Pink Lines on screen.

Try version 2.5.4.21.162. So far I haven't had any problems using this version.