Google Play on Hipstreet Flare

Epitome

Dec 24, 2012
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here, and first time dealing with Android anything, (although I am a tech by trade) so please bear with me. I've got a Hipstreet Flare 9" 8GB on order (for my toddler - yes I know its a sucky tablet but for $99 bucks I'll give it a shot...) and saw online that Google Play doesn't like this tablet. Somewhere else (and I can't seem to find it now), I recall seeing that you can get Play on it with a workaround, something about installing it manually. Can anyone shed some light on this? Would this require a root?

In addition, I'll be using this to play movies in the car while travelling, and wondered if anyone has experience putting a wireless interface (kbd/mouse) of some kind on it to control movies, etc. That way my wife can control it from the front seat. Thanks in advance for the assistance!

Steve

BTW, if I can get this to work (either a manual install of Play or complete root) I plan on posting a full instructional on it, cuz all the stuff I can find for these tasks are hybrids of using stuff from other devices that only partially work and require this tweak or that tweak. Honestly as a noob, none of it makes a ton of sense yet but if there was a step-by-step on it for this specific device I'd love it. So someone else must want it too (especially considering that Wal-Mart is selling these so cheap this week).

Last edited:

Epitome

Dec 24, 2012
Ok, so now that I have the tablet, I can say that manually installing the Google Play apk works, but it won't install any apps from Google Play. So I'm guessing that a root would be required. I see elsewhere that the Tasselhof utility will do the job here with some exceptions. I don't know if this is bad forum etiquette, but if anyone would care to comment on my post in the xla forums here: Hipstreet TITAN HS-7DTB4-4GB Tablet - Proper Rooting, Market etc. - Page 4 - xda-developers, I'd really appreciate it. My wife'll kill me if I brick it. Thanks!