google voice phone porting questions

sgtarky

May 31, 2011
I am thinking on porting my phone number to google voice(i do have it installed on my iconia). basically I am wanting to send/recieve txt messages from my phone number. but the description is that it will remove phone service from my phone? I dont mind paying the 20 bucks but I dont want to screw things up.

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
The acer iconia A500 is not a phone.

So why ask this here?

There are ways to receive phone call on the acer with sip, but that has nothing to do with google voice.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
he is asking because he wants to be able to use google voice for texting via the tablet (I am guessing). If this is what you are trying to do, then yes, you can do that. I have Google Voice on my gTablet running Honeycomb thinking it is the same number as my cellphone, but my cellphone still works just fine.

Hope that helps!

sgtarky

May 31, 2011
pb, that is exactly what I am asking, using gv for sms messaging using my cellphone number, But all the info I am reading about is it removes you from the carrier, in other words people are doing this to get away from at&t or vzw, but I cant seem to get a straight answer

sgtarky

May 31, 2011
pbraur I see you have a gentouch, I am sooooooooooo glad I waited until the iconia came out, I almost bought a gentouch when they first came out, late august

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
get a Google Voice number, then set it up to either forward to google chat or to your mobile device. Associate the Google Voice number to your gmail account. sign in on your tablet and set it up, that is how i have gotten it to work. I have google SMS capability in my tablet, and have full text and voice on my phone. when people get a text from my tablet they see it coming from my gvoice number.

sgtarky

May 31, 2011
yeah, that is what I was thinking, I alreayd have heywire. I guess you just have to inform people that , that gv number is your number too.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Yep...but once it is set up and they know it is you it works fine. As far as the Gentouch, I got mine July 29, two days after they first hit the market. Amazing how far things have come since then!

Icebike

Apr 28, 2011
I have Google Voice on my gTablet running Honeycomb thinking it is the same number as my cellphone, but my cellphone still works just fine.

Hope that helps!

How did you get google voice on your tablet? Its not even offered in the market when you use your tablet?
Are you using the web interface?

With CSipSimple you can actually receive sip calls on the tablet, and it works pretty well.
I worked it up and documented it here.

But you would still need to use a google voice account for sending SMS from the tablet. And the only way you can do that is with the web interface, because Google Voice won't install on the Acer.

Last edited:

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
I am running a hacked version of the app directly on the tablet for SMS. I have attached a copy here, should work on any tablet.