Google's strategy of driving Honeycomb as THE tablet OS to have... 6 month cycle...

xaueious

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 9, 2010
There is so much vibe behind the Honeycomb OS right now, that there is mention that people do not even want Android 2.x for their tablets anymore.

This is, of course, ridiculous.

Honeycomb does bring tablet optimized features to Android, but underneath it is still Android, and right now we still have mostly the same apps. Honeycomb apps will be optimized for newer hardware, and those new hardware will be expensive. The entire Honeycomb vision is displacing all existing Android tablets as outdated and useless, which is far from the truth.

Honeycomb also seems optimal for 10-inch devices. I have not even see an a prototype demo of a 7-inch model, aside from the Nook Color port.

The new Android then comes 6 months later.
URtKW.jpg

(picture stolen from Phandroid)

Anyone think this is a little too crazy?

The HTC Flyer is going to be an awesome tablet even if it runs Android 2.x.

Android 2.x is just fine for tablet use. The media is brainwashed on Honeycomb just like they were for the iPad.

Makes me want to cry a little inside.

SVD

Nov 21, 2010
2.2 seems to work OK on my Nationite MIDnite. These Android tablets (with 3.0) seem to be getting more and more expensive.

jakie55

Aug 30, 2010
I have always subscribed to the theory that technology is not outdated if it still does what you want it to do. My android 1.6 tablet still gives me a great ereading experience, which is what I bought it for. Buying the Galaxy Tab with 2.2 is for other, faster, uses that include flash. Honeycomb will not change that. Let's slow down and reassess!

rejavanation

Apr 18, 2011
I cannot think of a single benefit of having Android 3.0 except if you happen to have a 10+ inch tablet. The OS is optimized for bigger screen sizes and so far 7 inch tablets are outperforming larger ones.

hc1951

Apr 27, 2011
So I should stop obsessing about honeycomb? No advantage on a 7" galaxy tab?

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Android Tablet Forum