Gordon Brothers' Plans for Coby's Assets

JonsZX2SR

Jan 30, 2012
Does anyone know what Gordon Brothers plan to do with Coby's assets ? It doesn't make sense for them to just liquidate and not do anything with the Genration 4 designs ? The 8065 and 1065 are actually decent tablets, and I see that some leftover stock is still for sale by online retailers. I'm surprise Gordon Bros. hasn't restarted lmited production.

Recently I spent a week in Madrid, Spain working and took my 8065 with me (instead of a larger laptop or my new Acer A1-810.) I installed Skype on the 8065 while my spouse had installed Skype on her Moto-X Android phone. She was at a conference in Washington, DC the same week. The 8065 did a great job for communicating (as long as I had an available WiFi connection.)

There are other inexpensive dual and quad core tablets out there, and the Coby Gen 4 designs will be stale by the end of the year.

In the meanwhile I'm looking for the next cheap, utilitarian tablet, maybe an Ainol.

Any thoughts ??

Traveller

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 16, 2012
Gordon Brothers will do with Coby what they did with, IIRC, The Sharper Image: license the brand name to someone else. But they won't do it until all existing Coby product is liquidated. So, contrary to your statement it makes perfect sense for them to liquidate product. After all, they are an investment firm whose only purpose is to eke as much profit out of the Coby name as possible, not a consumer electronics manufacturer and distributor.

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
Yes these tablets are the best Coby tablets, I have a 7065, works very well I take it every where with me, when my son isn't using it

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
If you want an 8" 4:3 ratio budget tablet to replace your Coby you might look into a Le Pan Mini. Quad core, IPS screen, gps, Bluetooth, otg, and ultral light and thin. OfficeMax is about the only place you can find one. They were on sale for 99.00 for presidents day. Plus they have the PlayStore and all Google apps out of the box. Its an awesome deal.

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

vampirefo.

Developer
Nov 8, 2011
If you want an 8" 4:3 ratio budget tablet to replace your Coby you might look into a Le Pan Mini. Quad core, IPS screen, gps, Bluetooth, otg, and ultral light and thin. OfficeMax is about the only place you can find one. They were on sale for 99.00 for presidents day. Plus they have the PlayStore and all Google apps out of the box. Its an awesome deal.

High-Performance Quad-Core 8" 8GB Tablet

If they were $99 that's good deal, at $169.99 not so much.

Johna2u

May 21, 2011
I got mine for 129.00. You just have keep checking the website. I also have a Dell Venue 8 (android) I got that one for 129.00 as well. That thing is the best tablet I've ever owned. (I've had dozens) Very fast, strong WiFi, great sound out of the on board speaker. Running 4.3 jellybean. It is 16:10 ratio though which I didn't like at first but it doesn't bother me now.

By the way the officemax website Le Pan mini specs are wrong about the TFT screen. It is IPS.

Last edited: