Gps data incorrect country

fred

Mar 25, 2011
I have installed google maps, but when I connect the GPS Android select Maps it shows my location as being in China. What can I do to correct this? Thanks
Sent from my wwe10 using Android Tablet Forum

greenfrog

Aug 11, 2010
I have installed google maps, but when I connect the GPS Android select Maps it shows my location as being in China. What can I do to correct this? Thanks
Sent from my wwe10 using Android Tablet Forum

It can take up to 30 minutes for the GPS to find your location. Are you seeing the GPS icon on the status bar. If not go to Setting and turn it on.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Try going outside and letting the gps recalibrate itself. Make sure that there is nothing blocking its view of the sky. Also give it A LOT of time at first.

fred

Mar 25, 2011
GPS is turned on - had it on for well over an hour, but I was indoors. I'll give it a shot outdoors and report back. I'm pretty sure that I am not in downtown Shanghai, China :) Could the following have anything to do with the problem?
When I power on the tablet the home screen shows calendar and weather for Shanghai, China and then a few seconds later it changes to my current location.

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
Could the following have anything to do with the problem?
When I power on the tablet the home screen shows calendar and weather for Shanghai, China and then a few seconds later it changes to my current location.

Mine does that for London but it changes back to Asheville NC

fred

Mar 25, 2011
Turned on GPS and let it outside for 2 hrs. Still shows China. However, if I shut off GPS and access maps when using just WiFi it shows the proper location... well, within a few hundred yards anyway... at least it doesn't show China. Any other ideas?

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
There is a setting in the location setting which allows for wifi assisted location. Try that.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk! Eat that Apple!

uplade3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Apr 29, 2011
In my guide, I will try to add some troubleshooting for the GPS and how to solder it in place if it isn't hooked up. I do need some images and some knowledge on where to actually solder.

joegerardi

Feb 9, 2011
Yes. As I wrote elsewhere I've opened mine up and can see that the inside of the antenna connector is not actually connected to anything on the tablet's motherboard. In other pictures of opened tablets, you can easily see that there should be 2 wires leading from it to the momboard.

..Joe

fred

Mar 25, 2011
There is a setting in the location setting which allows for wifi assisted location. Try that.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk! Eat that Apple!

Use wireless networks is turned on - I've set my location in maps (when using WiFi) it doesn't let me set location if WiFi is off and using just GPS.

If I have both WiFi & GPS enabled and the antenna connected, when I first open maps it flashes briefly & shows the correct location, but then it's like it "defaults" back to China.

I don't know if the GPS is "actually" hooked up or not, I haven't even attempted to open up the tablet

maildrop

Mar 21, 2011
Use wireless networks is turned on - I've set my location in maps (when using WiFi) it doesn't let me set location if WiFi is off and using just GPS.

If I have both WiFi & GPS enabled and the antenna connected, when I first open maps it flashes briefly & shows the correct location, but then it's like it "defaults" back to China.

I don't know if the GPS is "actually" hooked up or not, I haven't even attempted to open up the tablet

1. Download any "3 to 4 star" "GPS test" app from Android Market.

2. Go to "GPS test" app's setting to reset "A-GPS" setting - meaning "clear cache", etc.

2. WiFi's GPS works because internet. Do not use it when you are supposed to do satellite GPS.

3. Turn on Satellite GPS on. Connect your external antenna.

4. Run "GPS test" app. Make sure it run and you see at least 4 satellites (fixed) out of all satellites FT2 / FT3 can see. It is with a reason. FT2 /FT3 should stay outside without blocking view as long as it may take. You should see the latitude and longitude changing.

5. Once seeing at least 4 satellites fixed, you can use Google Maps and see "China" location moving to wherever your location.

6. Nothing works? You got a lemon on GPS hardware.

Good Luck.

fred

Mar 25, 2011
1. Download any "3 to 4 star" "GPS test" app from Android Market.

2. Go to "GPS test" app's setting to reset "A-GPS" setting - meaning "clear cache", etc.

2. WiFi's GPS works because internet. Do not use it when you are supposed to do satellite GPS.

3. Turn on Satellite GPS on. Connect your external antenna.

4. Run "GPS test" app. Make sure it run and you see at least 4 satellites (fixed) out of all satellites FT2 / FT3 can see. It is with a reason. FT2 /FT3 should stay outside without blocking view as long as it may take. You should see the latitude and longitude changing.

5. Once seeing at least 4 satellites fixed, you can use Google Maps and see "China" location moving to wherever your location.

6. Nothing works? You got a lemon on GPS hardware.

Good Luck.
I attempted GPS Test (Chartcross Limited), GPS-WiFi and Z-Device Test. Couldn't find any setting setup on the first app and it showed as GPS showed my location as Oklahoma, as did the 2nd app. The 3rd app showed location at 31,12,13. None of the apps showed any satellites either. So, I either have a GPS lemon or it is not hooked up to the motherboard. So, the heck with GPS on the tablet... guess a smartphone will be needed instead if I desire any GPS.