GPS. Deterioration

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
When new I could normally get a fix and see 11 satellites - even inside my house.

Now I can only see 5 or 6 satellites and I am having trouble getting a fix even in the open air.

I am running 2.2 the problem seems to have cropped up in last 3 weeks.

Pete

Sent from my IDEOS S7 using Android Tablet Forum

pvella

Dec 20, 2010
Two programs I use are GPS Status, it can reset your A-GPS data, and GPS Test which tells you exactly what is going on.

tri_zet

Developer
Mar 1, 2011
try update your A-GPS data regularly (use GPS status), it helps speed up satellites lock.

pa49

Nov 29, 2010
When new I could normally get a fix and see 11 satellites - even inside my house.

Now I can only see 5 or 6 satellites and I am having trouble getting a fix even in the open air.

I am running 2.2 the problem seems to have cropped up in last 3 weeks.

Pete

7 sat fix in doors in less than 10 seconds with GPS Essentials.
Maps fix almost instantaneous.
Running Norwegian 2.2.
Compass working fine as well.

pbrauer

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 24, 2010
Another issue to look at has nothing to do with your hardware, and is pretty geeky but important. Depending on your location the Auroral Oval can cause significant amplitude scintallation (or loss of phase lock and signal strength. Since the GPS system relies on signals coming from multiple angles, the GPS system can wind up where you get immediate strong lock of some signals and disruptions of others. Currently the Oval extends as far south as Mid-Missouri, which is much further south than normal.

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
A-GPS clearly improves things, but I want GPS to work when out of cellular range

I have gps test and GPS status installed neither get a fix where previously I got a good fix in the house

pedro_

Jan 8, 2011
Strange, I did nothing and GPS recovered.

Now got 10 satellites and accuracy of 70ft indoors.

Pete

Entropy

Dec 24, 2010
It is odd - earlier this week I had issues with GPS not locking (Got up to a fix/sats of 6/6 in GPS Status but still not actually locked with a position), but by the end of the week it was fine.