GPS in Samsung Tab 10.1

Havefun

Jul 16, 2012
I recently bought the Tablet because I was told that the Tablet can double up as a GPS. I was skeptical on how it can retain the navigation if the wi-fi is lost after my car leaves the home wi-fi range. One of my friends told me that the Tablet can use the satellite directly like the GPS if we download an app. I am unable to reach out to my friend after I bought the tablet. Is there an app that would help double as a GPS and how do I get it? Any help greatly appreciated.

leeshor

Dec 27, 2011
I recently bought the Tablet because I was told that the Tablet can double up as a GPS. I was skeptical on how it can retain the navigation if the wi-fi is lost after my car leaves the home wi-fi range. One of my friends told me that the Tablet can use the satellite directly like the GPS if we download an app. I am unable to reach out to my friend after I bought the tablet. Is there an app that would help double as a GPS and how do I get it? Any help greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum

Google maps has the ability in the most recent version, (in ICS 4.0.x) to do some limited map caching but you may want to look at Sygic or CoPilot as both are very capable and will work just fine with your GPS

J515OP

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2011
Hi and welcome. As leeshor stated Google Maps has limited ability to cache maps to use with the GPS. So the GPS will track your location on the cached map. However the current version will not recalculate or allow you to modify the route without a data connection. That is were apps like Sygic and Copilot come in.